Above ground pool stairs

May 16, 2014
Kent, WA
My wife has bad knees so I am looking for as easy a way to get her in and out of our above ground pool. I have seen a Confer brand step system on line that has steps in and out of the pool with built in railings and even a security gate. Does anyone have a system like this and, if so, how hard are the steps ( I understand they are 12" high) to get up and down? I assume they would be built for people that cannot readily use a ladder. My only other option is to have steps built which my city says has to be done by residential code rules (rather demanding). I live in Kent, Wa. If anybody near me has one of the systems and would be willing to let my wife try them I would be appreciative. I attached a photo of the stairs I am describing if my skill at attaching works.

Attachments

• resize_thumb_130[1].jpg
    resize_thumb_130[1].jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 523
Welcome RCampbell.

I don't know if you will be successful in having someone invite you and your wife over but wanted to wish you luck with that. I would assume if your wife could navigate steps, she should fine with this set up. :goodjob:

I guess here is my real question. This "system" actually consists of two sets of Confer stairs which have steps with a 11.5 inch rise. Does anyone have experience with someone with badly arthritic knees using these stairs without too much trouble.

step-1_web_main1.jpg

rcampbell,
if you lived closer i'd give you one heck of a deal on a set of confer steps i have. we had them, then opted for a different set. now the confer set sits in my basement unused.

- - - Updated - - -

sorry, should have added--steps are great sturdy-wise. very solid step and riser. side bars aren't as sturdy as i would have liked them. our problem was keeping them from floating off the floor of the pool, as well as our pool had a scooped base. these are made for flat based pool bottoms.

Deweypip: Thanks for the reply. Did you have any experience with anybody using your confer steps having difficulty getting out of the pool due to bad knees, weight, or other mobility issues? Also, what steps did you opt into? Thanks. Richard

I have the mighty steps in 38" and my handrails are flimsy too.

I guess here is my real question. This "system" actually consists of two sets of Confer stairs which have steps with a 11.5 inch rise. Does anyone have experience with someone with badly arthritic knees using these stairs without too much trouble.

View attachment 32033

I haven't shopped for pool stairs yet, so I can't offer advice as to which ones to get. But I want to throw my two cents in as food for thought. An 11.5" rise is pretty steep. Standard home stairs have a 7" rise. Those appear to be made just opposite of standard stairs. A person will feel some buoyancy at the bottom step while exiting the pool, but the higher they climb, the heavier they will feel. I don't know if you can find any pool stairs with the standard 7" or not. I would think part of the engineering involved concerns protrusion into the pool area. If your wife has trouble climbing regular stair cases, these would probably be pretty tough for her.

Those are the steps that we have. I love them !! The risers are a little high but doable. My husband & I are both in our 60s. My husband has arthritis in his knees and has no problem. I have arthritis in my back and I find them much easier than the ladder type steps that we used to have.
IMG_0301.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
rcampbell, we actually just got our AG pool this summer, I was so thrilled with it until I tried getting out of the pool that 1st time, the steps that came with the pool are basically identical to the confer steps pictured. I had a stroke 12 years ago (at age 34) and have some major balance issues, as well as some arthristis in my knee and am overweight - BIG part of me wanting the pool was to do some major pool excercise/physical therapy. I couldn't get up the last 2 steps! I managed to get out by crawling out (oh that was a prety sight!) and spent the next few days researching pool steps.

EVERY single set of pool steps has either a 11 1/2" or 12" riser, yes its too steep. So me & my friends came out with a temporary fix and so far its worked fairly well. I bought several rubber pavers and cut them to exactly 1/2 the size of 2 of the steps (the middle 2 steps), the rubber pavers are 1" thick, so I put 3 of them each on those 2 middle steps (just on 1/2 of the step, either left or right side of each step, same side on both), this decreased the riser to 8 1/2", you just have to go up the steps 'like a child' (right foot up the step, left foot up to the same step)

I know it sounds crazy but it works! we were going to figure out a way to attach them but they are heavy enough that they stay in place unless theres a lot of activity in the pool, they will fall off. I also went and bought an inground pool metal handrail and had my deck builder attach it to the deck right next to the plastic flimsly handrails of the steps (which are almost worthless btw) and thats the handrail that I use for support when climbing my crazy steps. Yeah it may look funny but guess what - I can get in and out of my own pool now with no help (I cried that 1st day when I couldn't get up the steps :(

Hope this makes sense and you can picture it

Hello:

For anyone out there and especially Taylorbay, do you know where I can find 1" thick rubber pavers?
I thought I found some on Home Depot's web site but when I went back later I could not find them. Can find anything on the web that is more than 3/4 inch which would take quite a few and not stay in place as well.

Hope someone can help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.