Results from TF-100

Jun 18, 2014
Glendora, CA
Hello,

Below are the results from the TF-100 test kit (first time doing the test). Please advised. For the FC test, do you determine at the point where the solution turns clear? I noticed after it sat a while, the clear solution would turn pink again.

FC = 3.0

CC = 1.5

TC = 4.5 (3.0+1.5)

Calcium = 375

Total Alkalinity = 240

CYA = 90

Basic test kit that came with the TF-100 purchase (k-1000)

Cl = 1 (total chlorine?, different from above)
Br = 2
pH = 7.8

Thanks,
TT

A couple of things jump right out at me.
1 Your FC is wayyy low for your CYA level. For a CYA level of 90 your min FC is 7.
2 Your CYA level for a non SWG pool is too high. It should be 30-50.
3 Your CC of 1.5 indicates a SLAM.
4 Your TA is very high. When you did that test did you wipe the tip of the reagent bottle after each drop to prevent static electricity ? This can lead to a higher than actual TA reading.
With the CC of 1.5 your going to have to do the SLAM Process. Please read it and follow to the T.
I would also suggest a partial drain and refill to lower your CYA level to at least 50. It will make the SLAM process easier. It will also make managing your pool a lot easier.
Question for you. How are you chlorinating your pool now ?
Yes when the sample turns clear it's done. It will turn back to pink if you let it set for a little bit. When you did your CC test, did you do it before it went back to pink. The CC test should be done as soon as your done with the FC.
Please add your location and all your pool and equipment info to your sig.

I see you're pretty new here. It would be beneficial to you if you could please complete your signature with your pool specs and equipment. It is very redundant to having to ask you what you are working with every time you post. It is an important key to the puzzle and you're actually hiding it so please, before we go on, complete the signature as outlined here:

What we need to know to answer your questions

I'm not sure how much you have read of Pool School but lets get some basics in:

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Chlorine CYA Chart

Reading these will set you up for SLAMing Your Pool and the Overnight FC Loss Test. :goodjob:

Once you get through that, we can help get you started on lowering your TA.

A couple of things jump right out at me.
1 Your FC is wayyy low for your CYA level. For a CYA level of 90 your min FC is 7.
2 Your CYA level for a non SWG pool is too high. It should be 30-50.
3 Your CC of 1.5 indicates a SLAM.
4 Your TA is very high. When you did that test did you wipe the tip of the reagent bottle after each drop to prevent static electricity ? This can lead to a higher than actual TA reading.
With the CC of 1.5 your going to have to do the SLAM Process. Please read it and follow to the T.
I would also suggest a partial drain and refill to lower your CYA level to at least 50. It will make the SLAM process easier. It will also make managing your pool a lot easier.
Question for you. How are you chlorinating your pool now ?
Yes when the sample turns clear it's done. It will turn back to pink if you let it set for a little bit. When you did your CC test, did you do it before it went back to pink. The CC test should be done as soon as your done with the FC.
Please add your location and all your pool and equipment info to your sig.

Thank for taking the time to respond.

I did not wipe the tip of the reagent bottle. I am not sure a drain is possible. I was told the previous owner had a leak at the drain and he had it sealed when it was re-plastered. The previous owner had the pool service by a pool man. They were using the floater with the tabs. I just moved into the house a few days ago.

When I did the CC test it was not done right away (let it turned pink) as I am new to this process.

Regarding "Shock FC", my target is 35. So during the SLAM process, the goal is to get to FC to 35 and then adjust it accordingly (lessen the chlorine)?

If the main drain has been sealed/plastered over, you will need (to rent) a sump pump or other similar pump to do a partial drain and refill.

The idea of the SLAM process is to get the FC to 35, then routinely re-test the water and dose bleach/liquid chlorine so that FC doesn't drop below 35.

Also, please add details about your pool to your signature as described in this post.

Could you redo the CC test since you let it go back to pink and then did the test.
This time do your FC test and as soon as your done when it goes clear, move right to the CC test.
If you stay with using the tabs, it's only going to result in more problems down the road. ?

You might want to do a test of your fill water to see what your ta and ch are out of the hose. If it's city water it probably already has some chlorine in it. You really need to stop the tabs and any other solid stabilized chlorine immediately or your cya problem can only get worse. Much!! You need to find some way to drain and replace almost half of your water. If you have skimmers, you can drain some (making it a long and more water wasting effort)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.