Well Water Reddish/Orange - Is that a problem?

I plan to fill my new pool on Monday. It is an above ground pool. I will be using well water. We have a soft water system (culligan) but I am a little leery of running the water through the system. It does a "cleaning" every 1,000 gallons. I'm planning on bypassing the system and running straight, untreated, well water. Our water is REALLY bad in that it is reddish/orange. Is there a way to get that color out after filling the pool?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

It would be helpful if you would finish filling out your signature with your pool specs and the equipment you are using so we don't have to repeatedly ask for it. Our answers to you depend on it.
What we need to know to answer your questions

Sorry, must have missed that. My pool is an intex 15ft x 42" with blow up ring top. No frame. Is has the standard pump and cartridge filter that came with the pool.

A sequesterant is going to be your ticket.

And your signature is showing up. Thank you. :cool:

I have bad iron in my well water also. Not enough to turn the water brown out of the faucet, but enough to turn my pool brown when I top up a few inches. If you get that filter, be sure to let me know how it works. I have my doubts that it would help with my water at all.

The Prefresh filter works extremely well! Our well water is bad and turns everything it touches red; doesn't look bad in a glass but add to a pool and you won't see the bottom pretty quickly. I picked up two of the PreFresh filters when I filled my pool this spring and was very surprised at how well they worked. They list an 8,000 gallon capacity; I didn't get that - probably closer to 2500 gallons, depends on the water quality going into the filter. I've used a product called 'Metal Magic' in the past, it worked well and is cheaper than the number of PreFresh Filters I needed for the spring fill. For top off's, I'll be using the PreFresh from now on.

We have suspended iron in ours and luckily the sand filter takes it all out in less than 2 days on a fresh fill. With the old filter cartridge setup it was taking me a full week, cleaning the filters every few hours. They were caked in rust, was a terrible job.
Then I found my neighbor has used the filter that goes on the end of the hose, with great results.

Best $150 I ever spent was for a sand filter though, solves tons of issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to the forum :wave:

Is that the filter you put on the end of your garden hose to fill? Is this the link:
http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Pre-Fresh-Spa-Pool-Water-Fill-Filter-P784C57.aspx

Yes that is the one I use for my Spa. My water doesn't look bad in the pool but due to the heat it does get a bronze tint in my spa without using a filter. Search around as the prices can very quite a bit. Last time I bought them I think a place selling a two pack had the best price but I don't remember who off hand.

Iron in your pool water is problematic. There is no guarantee that anything will "fix" it.

When you see iron in water, it is because it has precipitated into a solid form, meaning your pool is saturated and can hold no more iron in invisible form.

When you apply a sequestrant, it returns the iron back to a soluble state but the iron is still in your pool.....you just can't see it now.

Filters typically don't have much affect as most cannot get the soluble iron from you water.....not in the capacity required.

Each pool is different but iron in pool water will always be a problem until you can find a way to remove it and keep it removed (i.e. stop using your fill water source.)

i have filled my pool 4 times with 10,000 gallons. The first time i bypassed my system and had to fight the water for a week.
The next 3 times i did run the water threw my system but i took my time. I would fill for about 6 to 8 hours and then backwash my system and then continue filling.

I will tell you it was worth the extra time it took to fill versus fighting my untreated water from my well.

Good Luck.

i have filled my pool 4 times with 10,000 gallons. The first time i bypassed my system and had to fight the water for a week.
The next 3 times i did run the water threw my system but i took my time. I would fill for about 6 to 8 hours and then backwash my system and then continue filling.

I will tell you it was worth the extra time it took to fill versus fighting my untreated water from my well.

Good Luck.

That is what I plan to do. My system is good for 1,000 gallons before it needs to be backwashed (regenerated). Regeneration takes about an hour or so. Did you treat the water in the pool with chemicals between fills or wait until it was full?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.