FAS-DPD VS OTO for daily testing

Once you get in to a good rhythm of knowing how much chlorine the pool is using daily, it is fine to use the K-1000 daily. You should still check the level once or twice a week with the FAS/DPD test to accurately get the chlorine level.

Use the FAS/DPD test daily until you know how the pool is behaving. If the CYA level is high then I would hesitate to switch to the OTO test.

Always an interesting question. It seems to me like about half of the members just really like the precision the FAS/DPD gives them but the other (equal) half is very satisfied staying with OTO.

I like FAS/DPD for my rhythm of testing but you should find what suits you best.

I've been using both for the last month or so. I'm outside the real range for OTO (CYA is 90), but it still gives me a pretty good idea. I've been practicing guessing how many drops FAS-DPD will take based on the OTO color. I'm getting better.

I don't measure levels with OTO, just get a quick confirmation that things have not gone completely wrong (i.e. chlorine hasn't dropped to near zero). Then I use FAS-DPD once a week to get an exact level and see if the SWG needs adjusting.

I don't use the FAS-DPD test for the precision, I use it every day because I have a hard enough time matching the pH color. I don't need to frustrate myself matching shades of yellow also. For me it is much easier to just count drops until the sample goes clear. Once you get the hang of it, you can do whichever you find easier.

What about just strips for a daily quick check? Someone started a thread here where they compare the strips to a proper test and they found that they were ok for FC and pH but not so good for other tests. I have been comparing my strips to my Taylor kit and that seems to concur with my results.

I also struggle with the shades of yellow.. I really like the speedstir with my FAS-DPD test. I actually have my grandaughters convinced that I can tell not only if the Ool was peed in but WHO peed in the Ool with all the fancy testing that I do. It is hilarious, because I am always right!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also struggle with the shades of yellow.. I really like the speedstir with my FAS-DPD test. I actually have my grandaughters convinced that I can tell not only if the Ool was peed in but WHO peed in the Ool with all the fancy testing that I do. It is hilarious, because I am always right!

Very good, I used to do that too with my son and their friends when he was young. I told them that pH was short for "pee H", and warned them I would know if anyone was doing something they shouldn't in the pool! Sometimes I would glare accusingly while testing, as all the kids exclaimed "it wasn't me!"

What about just strips for a daily quick check? Someone started a thread here where they compare the strips to a proper test and they found that they were ok for FC and pH but not so good for other tests.
I see no point. Who is the "someone" who started that thread? How many thousands of others do it the way we suggest? Which method makes sense.....the "someone" or the proven thousands?

1. "OK for FC and PH but not so good for other tests?"

2. Dependability and repeatability with OTO and then dead-on accuracy when you do the full complement of tests.

You are certainly encouraged to test and manage your water any way you like on your own pool but you will not be encouraged to take half-measures and short cut the whole point of what we teach........accuracy and dependability and interpretation of those accurate results.

Adding chlorine daily will use much less total chlorine than adding chlorine every other day. Loss to sunlight is a percentage of your starting level, so you lose way more on the first day of a two day run than you would if you didn't have to go that high to provide for the second day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.