Algae Problems

BB BMW

May 14, 2013
Alabama (Roll Tide)
I've been using the BBB method for about two years now and have not gotten control of my algae problem.
After opening the pool and balancing the water PH and CL, then vacuuming, etc. the water looks great for about 2-3 weeks.
I test the water every other day keeping the CL, FC and PH in balance. The problems start after it rains. The pool almost turns green over night.
I add bleach when needed, I add borax when needed and baking soda when needed. I have an automatic chlorinator that I put one 3" tab in a week.
The pool is only used be me and my wife, mostly on weekends.

Something I must be missing or doing wrong to lose control this fast.
Please help with suggestions, ideas or other methods that would prevent the algae invasion.

Thanks in advance

In balance? What are your numbers? FC, CC, CYA, CH, TA, PH

Do you understand the FC/CYA relationship as taught in pool school?

Do you understand that tabs are adding CYA and really aren't BBB? One of those 'B' is bleach.

I thought you were supposed to use 1 tablet a week in your chlorinator.

Any ways, here are the test results:

TA = 50
CL = 1.2
CC = 0
FC = .5
TC = .5
PH = 7.6
CYA = lower than 30 (thru the test I filled the tube all of the way up and could still see the black dot on the bottom)
I guess not enough stabilizer. Going to pool calculator, but would still like suggestions

I assume those numbers are from the K-2006 or TF-100, correct? Does your pool currently have algae right now? If yes, you will need to SLAM your pool to get rid of the algae. Link can be found in my signature. If no, your FC is too low for your CYA. You should be targeting 6 ppm, and never dropping below 2 ppm. Those tablets change too many variables at once, which is why they aren't recommended until you get some experience with your pool. You have to really keep an eye on FC, pH, and CYA when using them.

I assume those numbers are from the K-2006 or TF-100, correct? Does your pool currently have algae right now? If yes, you will need to SLAM your pool to get rid of the algae. Link can be found in my signature. If no, your FC is too low for your CYA. You should be targeting 6 ppm, and never dropping below 2 ppm. Those tablets change too many variables at once, which is why they aren't recommended until you get some experience with your pool. You have to really keep an eye on FC, pH, and CYA when using them.

I'm using the Taylor K-1005 kit. When I first joined this site, I thought I read somewhere on here to use one 3" tablet per week. Should I stop using them?
I do currently have green algae.
Using 3% bleach with a FC target of 6 or 7. PH is usually around 7.5 - 7.8, it's pretty stable. I'm adding some stabilizer thru a sock now. I started last night.
Target is 40-50. I do have a dead frog or mole in the skimmer basket every now and then. I know these must have an effect on the chlorine. But those are something I have to deal with.
The pool is clearing slowly. It is a light green now, but looks kinda clear for green (not cloudy). Should I just continue slamming it until it's clear?

I have read "how to chlorinate your pool" and I'm using the 3% bleach, baking soda and 20 mule borax when needed. I test FC and PH every day or every other day.

- - - Updated - - -

If your CYA tube was cloudy but you could see the dot, then you have some CYA but less than 30.
I would suggest that you switch to a 10ml sample for your FC/CC test as it saves reagent and is precise enough.

I would also suggest you read how to chlorinate your pool.

What do you mean by switching to a 10ml sample for FC/CC?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree...no tabs unless you are going on vacation. I've gotten heavy rains this season and I will bump up my chlorine by adding a gallon of bleach during a heavy rainstorm. It's not exactly scientific and the true TFP mods might not like my advice. I do know that 1 gallon will raise my FC by 5ppm. I also know that we get such huge deluges of rain, that I'm going to have an inch or 5 of pool water go out the drain on the waterline. Plus, rain will introduces all sorts of organic a so yeah...I dump in a gallon for good measure. I'm in houston though so if you don't have heavy rains, you might not need to do this.

I agree...no tabs unless you are going on vacation. I've gotten heavy rains this season and I will bump up my chlorine by adding a gallon of bleach during a heavy rainstorm. It's not exactly scientific and the true TFP mods might not like my advice. I do know that 1 gallon will raise my FC by 5ppm. I also know that we get such huge deluges of rain, that I'm going to have an inch or 5 of pool water go out the drain on the waterline. Plus, rain will introduces all sorts of organic a so yeah...I dump in a gallon for good measure. I'm in houston though so if you don't have heavy rains, you might not need to do this.

Well I'm Alabama and it's raining now. ahhhhhh just about got the pool cleared up and now.......

Well I'm Alabama and it's raining now. ahhhhhh just about got the pool cleared up and now.......

Okay so you are in the south! It's been incredibly rainy. My cya was at 70, but now it's around 30 because it's been incredibly rainy here. The good news is that you only need 2-6 ppm of chlorine and that's easy to maintain. Unfortunately 1 trichlor puck a week won't do it. Each trichlor puck will add 1.3 ppm if cya. If you are at 30ppm of cya, you could safely use 20 pucks over the course of a few weeks to bring your cya to 55 or so. Or you could do what I'm doing and keep your chlorine between 2-6 cheaply and easily with liquid bleach. Of course if you have algae you will need to slam, but otherwise an average of 4 will be perfect for your chlorine. And if the rain clouds roll in...be a little heavy handed with the bleach. And where did you find 3% liquid chlorine? I buy Clorox from Target and it's 8.25%.

This is happening now so Im adding an extra gallon to make sure I stay ahead of algae.

k6bf8.jpg

and now you keep doing what you were doing. testing your water and dosing with bleach. algae doesn't stop growing just because it rains so you shouldn't stop fighting it when it rains either. :)

No the rain seems to help the algae grow not stop.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll check the percentage of the bleach again. (it may be 6%)

I've added CYA last Sunday and will check it again this weekend to see what level it is at now. I read that it can take up to a week to show new level.
I'm going to stop using the tabs for now and see how it goes. Yes the rain is making it hard to keep things balanced.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.