Help, my timer switch stopped working

Jun 23, 2008
Florida
Well, my pool service was discontinued today due to not enough people in the area needing pool service. Perfect timing too, since so much started going wrong at once. They are referring us to other people, but I think I am going to try to go on my own.

Well my first problem is my timer switch stopped working. It's an Intermatic 24 Hr Dial Time Switch, model T104P. Here is a pic:

timer.jpg

The problem is it no longer shuts off. It runs for 24/7, so I have to manually shut it on and off. I'm running it about 10 hours per day right now.

I would like to try to fix this. So how hard is that to do? Where should I start? Should I take this chance and upgrade to a nicer model?

Thanks for the advice.

Just look in the access hole on top of the dial. It is probably imprinted with something like "motor inspection", etc. Look in the hole (you may need a flashlight) and you will see a gear. If the gear isn't turning the motor is probably bad. Most pool stores should carry them. Disconnect power before servicing.

Just went through the same thing with a different Intermatic timer. I looked online for a replacement timer motor, the Intermatic web site was at least 1/2 the cost of anywhere else & they shipped really quickly, it was about $33 (vs. about $100 or so to replace the entire timer).

Best part, you can replace the timer motor without rewiring everything. Just make sure that you turn off EVERYTHING at the pad using your breakers and confirm. The replacement takes about 5 minutes.

My timer just died in the exact same way! It's the water heater version and is only $39 at HD, but if I can buy a part for less!!! I've been trying to limp thru the rest of the summer just using it manually, but last night we got home late and ended up cooling the pool w/ the solar panels at the end of the day and that just kills me when every degree COUNTS!

This forum rocks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.