Pump Motor Dead - What should I do?

tibunekubda

LifeTime Supporter
May 16, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
2014 is the year of the pool.

Just when I think everything is going smoothly, another issue. I'm so thankful to have someplace to turn for advice.

I noticed Wednesday morning that the pump wasn't running. Finally got some folks out to the house today. Motor sparks and smells bad and then the breaker trips and all is quiet ...

Here is a current picture of the equipment and motor/filter labels:filter.jpgpump_label.jpgfilter label.jpg

Arizona law requires that I get a two-speed or variable-speed motor.

I circulate water and run a pool vac that has its own return to a Jandy valve that allows me to control how much flow to each. I have to limit flow to the pool vac in order to minimize cavitation from the hoses.

The pump and filter were installed in 2003. I just changed (June) the sand in the filter when going through a "swamp to sparkly" process.

Plumbing, other than between filter and pump (2003) and the return for the pool vac (1994) are original. We bought house in 1989 - I do not know when pool was installed. House was built in 1978.

At a minimum I need to replace the pump. Is there really any benefit to me going variable speed without anything else hanging off it or is two-speed sufficient? Any reason to go higher than a 1hp motor with my pool/filter size?

The handles for the valves to divert water to aerator are brittle. Any value in replacing that plumbing now -- or, just wait until I have to? (these are the brownish pipes in front of the filter/plumbing)

Is there anything else I should consider adding/changing since I have to get someone out here anyway?

Anything else I should be asking / looking at?

I'd appreciate knowing brands/models to go with and what to stay away from as well.

Sorry for such a long post... Thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide.

Toni

I'd double check that law. We have the mandatory two-speed thing in California, too, but I just unbolted my pump and impeller and took the whole works to the pool store and they sold me a single-speed replacement motor. It's a part, not a pump, which I believe is the loophole. The worst part was unhooking the electrical. I found it easier to undo the wires at the panel and separate the flex conduit and unhook the wires after the motor was free of the pump.

Six bolts to get the motor and plate off the pump. The pool store dealt with the impeller and seals for me, and there was no question the motor fit that way. Including travel time, the whole repair only took about three hours.

Hold on!!
Why would you not upgrade to a 2-speed motor to save money on electricity? Does not sound like you need a VS pump, but I would certainly either just change out the motor to a similar sized 2-speed or get a 2-speed pump.

If there is a benefit and I can just replace the single speed motor with a 2-speed motor, I would do that.

I'm trying to avoid replacing the pump and having to redo the plumbing...

Is there any other benefit besides saving "a little" electricity?

So, what I can find says it runs longer but at a lower speed. Then you go high speed for vacuuming or backwashing.

I run my pool vac whenever the pump is running to keep my pool clean -- right now,the pump runs for about 6 hours a day. So, I don't see that I would ever be running it at the lower speed.

I guess I don't see a reason to spend more for it... but, I admit to not being at all knowledgeable so I would love to hear where I'm wrong in my thinking.

On low it moves 1/2 the water for 1/4 the cost. So even doubling the run time on low is still a 50% savings on power.

Since you use a suction cleaner every day, without any automation, then you would not be able to save as much ... although there is no reason to need to run a suction cleaner for 6 hours every day.

You don't always need to run twice the time on low speed either. So it is quite possible that you might find that only 6 hours at low speed is necessary so you might save up to 75% in energy costs!

I ended up choosing to replace the motor myself. (I am not a DIYer!!).

I replaced with a single speed motor. For a lot of reasons, it was the best choice for my situation.

I was amazed at how easy it was -- 6 bolts and it was off. Then a few small screws to remove the wiring and it was off. Pool store got everything ready for me including lube. Then, reverse the process.

Yesterday I did a really long backwash/partial drain (lowering CH). Does it make sense that my post-backwash pressure is higher with the new motor? Before it was 14 and I would backwash at 17 or 18. Now it is 17... just trying to be sure there isn't something else going on.

Thanks!

I ended up choosing to replace the motor myself. (I am not a DIYer!!).

I replaced with a single speed motor. For a lot of reasons, it was the best choice for my situation.

I was amazed at how easy it was -- 6 bolts and it was off. Then a few small screws to remove the wiring and it was off. Pool store got everything ready for me including lube. Then, reverse the process.

Yesterday I did a really long backwash/partial drain (lowering CH). Does it make sense that my post-backwash pressure is higher with the new motor? Before it was 14 and I would backwash at 17 or 18. Now it is 17... just trying to be sure there isn't something else going on.

Thanks!
Who knows? Maybe the impeller was partially clogged and they cleaned it before reinstalling it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, probably nothing to worry about... Slight changes in pressure are pretty normal when changing motors, parts, etc... Just monitor it for a few weeks and see how it holds.

And I feel your pain! 2014 has been my year of the pool as well: new liner, new filter, new plumbing, new capacitor followed by a new motor, and most recently a new impeller... all unplanned! Good thing is there's not much left to replace or repair :D

They did have to replace the impeller. And they also replaced the... um... "plastic thingy" that goes between the impeller and the pump. It had a a partial separation from it's "nozzle" and the base.

So the old, failing motor hadn't been moving as much water and that is what led to the increase in pressure now that I have a good one?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.