Think I want a Stenner but which one?

Aug 15, 2012
Houston, Texas
BBB has been working really well but, it is not always convenient to put chlorine in the pool by hand everyday. I am interested in automating the chlorine delivery but SWG is no use as I have lots of flagstone round the pool and deck. I looked at the Liquidator but, reading up on it, it doesn't like my variable speed pump and I don't like the sound of the white stuff. This brings me to a Stenner pump and 15 gallon drum. I don't want to run it with my pump, I understand the Stenner prefers to run at a high speed for a short time. My current July average daily demand for 8.25% chlorine is 70 to 80 oz per day with CYA of 50. It can get hotter in August so I would have to allow for that. I have an Easy Touch 4 which I think I can add the pump to and run it while the pool is running, but if not, I will get it a separate timer.
I am not sure which Stenner pump would be suitable for my size of pool and spa. Any advice would be welcome.

This is information about the 2 fixed rate models. They come in 2 injection pressure ratings one for up to 25 psi (the MP models) and one for up to 100psi (the MPHP models) for the fixed rate models. I prefer the fixed rate because there are less moving parts and I adjust the run time for dosage. It seems most on here like the 45 models (26 rpm) vs the 85 models (44 rpm). The different tube sizes will give you the different flow rates. I have the 45MPHP10. At 10 gallon a day flow rate, I have a 35 minute run time per day.

I understand the Stenner prefers to run at a high speed for a short time.

That tends to be true...although I think plenty of people use the variable ones and don't run them at full...but running them at full is supposedly better for them and doesn't have the clicking sound. IMHO, if you're going to run it at full anyway, just get a non-adjustable one and control it purely via runtime which is what I plan to do when I get around to it (and convince the wife).

My current July average daily demand for 8.25% chlorine is 70 to 80 oz per day with CYA of 50. It can get hotter in August so I would have to allow for that. I have an Easy Touch 4 which I think I can add the pump to and run it while the pool is running, but if not, I will get it a separate timer.
I am not sure which Stenner pump would be suitable for my size of pool and spa. Any advice would be welcome.

Generally I think the 10 GPD (gallons per day) models are most-commonly used around here. For non-adjustable, that's either the 45MPHP10 (up to 100psi) or 45MP2 (up to 25psi) depending on the pressure of your system. They smaller 3 GPD ones would require pretty substantial runtime, and the larger ones are probably too fast (you don't want almost pure bleach coming out of your returns =p).

You need ~75 oz per day and so that's 75 / 128 == 0.5859375 gallons per day. Since the pump is 10 gallons per day, you need 0.5859375 / 10 == 0.05859375 == 5.859375% of its daily output, and so you should run it for that percentage of the day. So 24 hours * 60 minutes/hour * 0.05859375 == 84.375 minutes...which you could probably safely round down to 80 or up to 90 (since you'll still be testing FC levels regularly and can make subtle adjustments or manually run the pump for a bit).

So you need ~84 minutes per day, you can either run it straight 84 minutes or break that up. One solution might be to run it for an 60 minutes in the evening (since it's better to add chlorine after swimmers/sun are gone) and let it work all night...and then run it 24 minutes in the morning to prop levels back up for the next day's activity. It doesn't really matter...whatever you think works best.

As an aside, in your pool (13.2 K gallons) it's about 20oz of your 8.25% bleach to get 1ppm FC...the pump would inject those 20oz in 22.5 minutes...so if you wanted like a quick boost before/after a big party, you could manually run the pump for 45 minutes.

Hope all that makes sense!

- - - Updated - - -

At 10 gallon a day flow rate, I have a 35 minute run time per day.

31oz a day for only 1.25 FC per day...that's a well managed pool especially for sunny Florida. Totally agree with fixed vs adjustable and 26rpm vs 44rpm...the 45MPHP10 is also the one I'm planning to get.

I have the adjustable 3gpd unit and while it has worked well, if I had it to do over again I'd either go with the fixed rate unit or the new Econ unit.

Great feed back from everyone. It sounds like consensus is the fixed rate unit and 10GPD size. I will be able to use my easy touch so that takes care of a timer so I wouldn't need the Econ unit.

Thank you Vyrolan for working out my run time that is really useful to me.

I am surprised Bama Rambler would recommend the fixed rate over the variable speed as I would have thought the variable speed would make adjusting the chlorine dosage easier. I would love to know why you would choose fixed rate over your variable speed.

I just ordered an Econ FP pump and I'm waiting for it to show up. I plan on triggering it via a current switch when the pump is running and adjusting the duty cycle using the built in electronics. Basically similar to a SWG in concept but using liquid chlorine injection instead.

The Econ pumps use DC motors so there is no clutch mechanism to cause clicking or wear out. On the plus side it is less expensive for a single task like injecting chlorine. From what I gather the Classic Stenner pumps are much more flexible in different tube sizes and are targeted to industrial chemical injection, seems a bit overkill for a pool.

I'll post back in a few days once I get everything up and running.

The main reason I'd go with a fixed rate model is that it simply has less parts and running it the same amount of time as the main pump isn't as big a deal as I originally imagined.

I'm really leaning toward the Econ, but want to reserve my recommendation until I have more experience with it.

The main reason I'd go with a fixed rate model is that it simply has less parts and running it the same amount of time as the main pump isn't as big a deal as I originally imagined.

I'm really leaning toward the Econ, but want to reserve my recommendation until I have more experience with it.

Thanks for all the help. My pump will sit outside ( Econ says it is for indoor use) and I will use my Easy Touch as my timer so I have ordered the fixed speed, high pressure 10 GPD Stenner. It is actually cheaper than the Econ. I managed to buy a 15 gallon tank locally for 20 dollars so now I am looking forward to getting everything installed and running.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all the help. My pump will sit outside ( Econ says it is for indoor use) and I will use my Easy Touch as my timer so I have ordered the fixed speed, high pressure 10 GPD Stenner. It is actually cheaper than the Econ. I managed to buy a 15 gallon tank locally for 20 dollars so now I am looking forward to getting everything installed and running.

You're going to love it. But watch out, it can make you lazy. I checked my water every day prior to installing the stinner, and for about a year after installing it I did the same, but after a year or so of never needing to adjust my chemicals I got lazy and now only check it every week or so (TFP please forgive me).

literally just finished my install. Do to a snafu with the company I ordered the pump from I ended up with the 85MHP5 which is a 5 GPD max. The gearing 45vs85 and internal tube are what regulate the max per day rate.

either way, seems like you cant go wrong with this setup.

You need to add a separate timer for the injection pump unless you have a multiple circuit timer already. They need a timer, but don't come with one.
If you want to run it on the main pump timer, you'll need a adjustable model that isn't a great deal larger than the required amount.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.