skimmer / main drains plumbing

kooma

Sep 14, 2012
Hello all,

I'm wondering if there is an industry standard on how plumbing should be done with the following setup:

2 Skimmers located on the same wall
2 main drains in the deep end 3 feet apart

I understand (now) ideally the skimmers and drains should be plumbed on independent runs but is it an industry standard?

My PB plumbed it all into 1 run directly to the pump. Can I lay blame on the PB for not plumbing this correctly?

Thanks

Do you know how it is plumbed? Does the floor go to one skimmer and then from than skimmer to the other skimmer and then from there to the pump?

That is certainly less than ideal.

This is kind of a pet peeve of mine. When people come here and post about a quote for a new pool build lising equipment and bells and whistles ... yet they completely ignore the bones of the operation, like the plumbing size and layout which can not easily be changed.

As a new 1st time pool purchaser I totally agree with you jblizzle. I got caught up on features.

The PB did this:

Skimmer (with a plug on the non suction hole) to 2nd Skimmer.

2nd Skimmer has the two drains attached

And all run to the pump from that point. So the last in the line is the skimmer that joins both the other skimmer and the 2 drains.

There are only 2 holes in the bottom of the 2nd skimmer right? One is attached to the 1st skimmer, what is the other attached to?

Do the floor and skimmers Tee together underground so that you have no ability to adjust the flow?

To answer your questions:

2 Skimmers located on the same wall - really depends on how the pool is shaped and the direction of the wind. I would think it would be better to not have both skimmers on the same wall, just to try and capture the most floating debris as possible.

2 main drains in the deep end 3 feet apart - this is actually 1 main drain, with 2 covers that are 3 feet apart. They "T" together, this is done to eliminate any suction at the drain that could trap someone.

Our pool is rectangular in shape and we have 2 skimmers (on separate walls). The Skimmers are plumbed together and the main drain has its own line back. At the pump, we have valves for the Skimmer line and the drain line so we can control the suction. These two lines then "T" together and go into the pump.

Correct the 2nd skimmer has two holes. one hole going to the other skimmer
The other going to the pump.

Yes the drain line with the two covers (thanks shuye) is T'd into the skimmer then 90'd out towards the pump.

I understand I've lost flow control. Is there a possibility that the 1st skimmer in the line furthest away from the pump will not get any suction. Right now I have none which lead me on this fact finding. So That's the objective to my question. Whether it's a bad plumbing or just maybe a blockage.

Then how much have I really lost by not having the two runs on a valve at the pump?

The far skimmer won't have any flow unless you have a diverter in the near skimmer which splits the flow between the two. Think it out: two openings below, open on top. One hole is suction. Where would it get the water - the stuff that flows in by gravity, or the stuff that has to be sucked through how many feet of pipe? Prove it to yourself. Find a plastic or metal bowl that will fit inside the skimmer well and cover both ports in the bottom. Set it inside upside down. Boom -- no suction in the near skimmer, lots of suction in the far skimmer.

I still can't picture the split between the drains and the skimmer, though. Instead of a Tee, it should have been a three-way valve.

If you can see the Tee where the floor and skimmers join ... you might be able to re-plumb it with a 3-way to add control.

As Richard said, you need a float diverter in the near skimmer to force some suction from the far skimmer.

Everything is fully backfilled, coping is set in etc etc.

Question, if I block both skimmers with the winterization skimmer covers ( or using the plugs under the skimmer basket) and turn on my pump - in theory the main drain would provide water to the pump? I'm now concerned the main drains might not have suction as I could not feel it with my hands on a dive.

Not even sure where to start with the non suction skimmer as I can't see the plumbing and have no construction pics. UGH

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No - I've been in a fight with my PB. I relayed this info to him and he's just avoiding me now and thus I will have to get new PB to resolve. I'm not sure what a float diverter is or where/how to install. Is this something a local pool supply store would carry?

Thanks for the info on drains did not know you would not feel the water suction!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.