My Pool Looks green!

I have only have my above ground pool for about 2 months. Just last week outta no where (it seems) it turned green. I took a sample to the local pool store who said i should Drain some water out and do a long backwash and then add to bags of shock and scrub the sides. Nothing changed. measurements are below? Any help would be appreciated

Free Available Chlorine : .59 Low
Total Chlorine : .99 Low
Combined Chlorine : .04 High
pH level : 7.4 ok
Total Alkalinity(input) : 123
Calcium Hardness : 341 ok
Cyanuric Acid : 121 High
Copper : 0.1 High
Iron : 0.1 High
Manganese : 0
Nitrates 0
Total Dissolved Solids 0
Phosphates 0
Saturation Index 0.3
Endure 0
Endure

Help, My pool is GREEN!

Merged by moderator. Please do not double post. Thanks, jblizzle

Ive only had my pool for about 2 months. And no problem until now. Its green and I had it tested at my local pool store. They instructed me to drain my pool down and refil. I did that and had it retested. They suggested 2 bags of Shock and use brush on pool floor and sides with a really long backwash. i've done this twice and no changes. I've posted the latest test from my pool store. I've got well water for my pool, im told that makes a difference

Attachments

• Pool info.jpg
    Pool info.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 84
Re: Help, My pool is GREEN!

Welcome! :wave:

The first thing you need to know is those results are awfully suspicious. After a drain and refill and only a couple bags of shock powder, your CYA shouldn't be that high. As an aside, that picture is too small to read clearly, but three figures for CYA is too high. Too high in general, and too high if all you added was what you added. Pucks and powders increase the CYA, but that high in only two months? I find it hard to believe. Pool Store testing is at best, suspect, and very frequently downright wrong.

So... what's the answer? Test results you can trust. And for that, you need your own test kit. This article explains what you need. If you order the TF100, you could potentially have it in your mitts tomorrow! It ships from NC.

Next up, learn what all those numbers mean. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry

And then spend a little time reading other threads and articles. Check out this thread and my reply. Very similar situation, same advice.

Free Available Chlorine : .59 + Combined Chlorine : .04 = Total Chlorine : .99
Am I reading this wrong? How do pool stores get these readings. Since I've never been to a pool store I've wondered?

OP can not bring it to shock level without accurate testing. I think they are better off getting chlorine readings from a basic OTO test kit, results would likely be more accurate, at least it could give them a starting point, but since they've ordered the TF100 kit, it's a waiting game now.

Your pool is already green? I would just wait out the test kit and run complete set of test results and post back here.

You should be reading:

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Chlorine CYA Chart

Once you understand these articles, you will be ready to start SLAMing Your Pool and performing the Overnight FC Loss Test with your new test kit. You need the test kit to perform the SLAM. If you don't get it, you will fight the green monster.

Good Luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.