Please help with cloudy pool!!!!

nuce70

Jul 18, 2014
Deptford, NJ
I have never been very vigilant with watching my pool chemistry. Usually I just throw a bag of shock in once a week, put chlorine tabs in my floating frog and run the pool 12-16 hours a day. I have always had a crystal clear pool. But now I have an extremely cloudy pool.

Here is my situation
10,000 gallon 20ft above ground pool with sand filter. It has been crystal clear until last week when we had really hot weather, so lots of swimming and then a few days of heavy storms. The pool started with some slight cloudiness and a little green on the bottom. I tested and my pH, TA and stabilizer were really low, pH – 6.8 and TA – 40 and stabilizer was practically 0. TC and FC level were at 4, but i was adding chlorine alot to the pool. I added stabilizer and got that up to 100 now and I noticed I dont need to add as much chlorine as before. I read that baking soda would raise the TA and also the pH as well. So I used poolcalculator.com and it recommended 5.5 lbs of sodium bicarbonate. I added 3lbs of baking soda to the pool 2 days ago. I did not premix it, just spread it around the pool. The pool turned milky cloudy color. I tested again and my current readings are:
FC – 3
TC – 3
pH 7.4
TA – 140
Hardness – 150

For chlorine I use 1/lb bags of aqua chem shock plus – but I have use other brands as well. I hope I didn’t screw anything up with the baking soda. Also my sand filter sand has not been changed in 5 years or so. I am not sure if that may be the problem.
Please any advice will be helpful – My kids are dying to swim again

Thanks

1. Your CYA (stabilizer) over 100 is one of the problems. It should be around 50.

2. As a result of #1, you do not have enough chlorine in your pool. Somewhere around 8 ppm at all the times will now be re4quired to keep your pool clear

Yes you need one of these Test Kits to accurately test your water. Your CYA maybe high but you can confirm more accurately with one of those test Kits. I use the TF-100. Best value.
If your CYA is 100 you need to drain and replace some water. Only way to lower that level.
Also take sometime to read these articles from pool school.
ABC'S Of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Levels
How To Chlorinate Your Pool
Welcome to TFP !!?

Ok thanks, I will get one of those right away. So are you thinking the cloudiness is caused by this high CYA, because it was getting a little cloudy last week, but when I tried to raise the pH it is when it went to super cloudy. What should my next steps be to get my pool back?

What did you raise the PH with ?
You made a big step in deciding to get one of the test kits. The next step is reading the links I provided you so you start to get an understanding of what your pool water needs.
After your kit arrives post a full set of test results and we will get you started in he right direction. ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, I finally got my test kit. Here are my numbers

FC 9.5
CC 0.5
pH 7.6
TA 100
Hardness 150
CYA 65

The water is a little cloudy, but blue. Over the past few week the water has been good, but just not crystal clear like I want.

Thanks for any help

Ok, I finally got my test kit. Here are my numbers

FC 9.5
CC 0.5
pH 7.6
TA 100
Hardness 150
CYA 65

The water is a little cloudy, but blue. Over the past few week the water has been good, but just not crystal clear like I want.

Thanks for any help
Now you're talking :goodjob:

Ideally, you'll run an overnight loss test to rule out organics and the need to SLAM the pool. If it fails, jugs away! If it passes, it's just a sand filter taking its sweet time. You might try a deep cleaning on the filter, if its been a few years, or try adding DE to your sand filter. For filtration, it's like setting a window screen on top of a barbeque grill. You'll catch a lot of small stuff. Anything you can do to improve circulation down deep, like aiming the return that way, will help get the floaters into the skimmer where it can get whisked away and filtered out.

Ok, so my fc was 9.5 and ill.compare it to tomorrow AM, and im looking for a drop of 1ppm or more to fail? If not ill just keep running the filter. And i actually did change the sand in the filter a few weeks ago.

How much de would you add to the filter?

Thanks

I tested this morning at 7am, the sun was up but not directly on the pool.

Fc 9.0
Cc 0.5

So looks like it passed. Ill try the de in.the filter.

How do the rest of my numbers look?

Thanks
:goodjob:

The CYA is pushing the envelope so you'll need to keep the FC up there. The pool store's "3 is ideal" doesn't apply to you anymore. Use the FC/CYA chart or plug in your variables at the bottom of poolmath and let it calculate your minimum.

Ok, the fc/cya chart says between 5-8..should i drain some water to get my cya lower? Or am I ok?

Also i assume i should stick with plain bleach so i don't mess with my other levels?

How often should i be testing everything?

Thanks

Ok, the fc/cya chart says between 5-8..should i drain some water to get my cya lower? Or am I ok?

Also i assume i should stick with plain bleach so i don't mess with my other levels?

How often should i be testing everything?

Thanks
You may do that if you wish. Since it's likely you'll be draining some anyway to winterize your pool, you could just leave it as is and maintain the higher FC levels. You won't actually use more chlorine on a daily basis, it will just be maintained at a higher level.

Yes, plain old bleach is best. Or pool chlorine. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/142-how-to-chlorinate-your-pool

What you need to do daily is listed here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/131-basic-pool-care-schedule

attachment.php

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.