Please help with cloudy pool!!!!

Ok, so my clean psi was 18, and today it is up to 22 (I added 1 cup of DE which pushed it from 21 to 22) so might be time for a back wash once it goes up to 24 or so?

Is the bleach ok to add right to the skimmer?

If my FC range is 5-8, is it better to be at the high end of that or aim for the middle?

Thanks for answering all my questions

Ok, so my clean psi was 18, and today it is up to 22 (I added 1 cup of DE which pushed it from 21 to 22) so might be time for a back wash once it goes up to 24 or so?

Is the bleach ok to add right to the skimmer?

If my FC range is 5-8, is it better to be at the high end of that or aim for the middle?

Thanks for answering all my questions
There is no reason I know of, and do no think it a good idea, to add bleach to the skimmer. Easier and more effective to add it around the pool.

I would aim for high so as it drifts it drifts to the middle, not the low. Seems safer and the loss of CL at higher ppm in your range is probably negligible.

They preach cleaning a cartridge filter or backwashing sand or DE at a 25% rise in pressure. Though my cartridge filter is large and runs at 10psi so it seem a silly to clean at 12-13 psi, a 25% rise.

Pour the bleach slowly in front of a return jet so it mixes.

Clean the filter when the pressure rises 25% over clean pressure. If you wait longer the flow rate starts to dramatically reduce which impacts your filtration.

Pool is looking much better today, but I have a few questions. I added a cup of de last night and when I woke up the return jet had barely any pressure and the pressure was up to 25psi. So I back washed and all was well, pressure back to 18psi and pumping well. I added another cup or so of de, enough to get the pressure up 1psi. I put the auto vacuum on, and 3 hrs later the pressure was up to 24 again with slow flow out of the jet. So my question is, did I add too much de, or is it just filtering out a lot of fine particles, or was it stuff on the bottom (there was some, but not a lot)

Thanks for any help

It is filtering. Clearing up a pool will require a lot of backwashing ... and if you are adding DE, it is going to clog up much quicker.

Now you see why we say a 20-25% rise over the clean pressure. At a 40% rise (for you 25psi) the flow was greatly reduced.
You should clean it when it is up to about 22psi.

You may do that if you wish. Since it's likely you'll be draining some anyway to winterize your pool, you could just leave it as is and maintain the higher FC levels. You won't actually use more chlorine on a daily basis, it will just be maintained at a higher level.

Yes, plain old bleach is best. Or pool chlorine. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/142-how-to-chlorinate-your-pool

What you need to do daily is listed here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/131-basic-pool-care-schedule

attachment.php

If I have to maintain a higher FC level because of my cya, is that harsher on people swimming? i.e. skin, eyes

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First I wanted to say my pool is looking awesome, sparkling and crystal clear. You all really know your stuff here, thank you so much. I have a 2 part question:

What is the best time if the day to test and add chlorine to the pool?

Is it normal to lose 2ppm over a day period? Yesterday I was at 7ppm of FC and today 5ppm. I added bleach to bring it up to 8ppm, which is the high end of my range.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.