I am so new and my pool is green?

Jul 17, 2014
Tacoma, WA
Hi there!

My name is Timi! I am so excited that I found this site! I was feeling really overwhelmed and lost trying to figure this all out.

we set our pool up and ran it without any chemicals for maybe 4 days while I was trying to figure out where to start.
yesterday when we went to get in the pool all of the surfaces were getting slimy!! so I knew that I had to figure it out and fast!

our pool is just an above ground intex vinyl liner, with metal frame, round, 16x42 and just the small pump that it came with.

I found this website and tried to use the pool calculator and the small starter thing of chemicals that came with the pool.

when I first started out and tested the water here is what I got:
TH = 0
FC = 0
pH = 6.8
TA = 40
CYA = 0

I added the CYA in a sock like I had read on here in the form of hth stabilizer and conditioner (1lb)
I added in baking soda per the pool math thing on here (love this tool!)
and I added the hth shock and swim per the directions

before going to bed I checked again and ran the pump all night and this is what I got:

TH = 0
FC = 3
pH = 7.2
TA = 80
and CYA = 0

I woke up this AM to a bright, but clear green pool!! and tested to get this!
TH = 0
FC = 0
pH - 7.5
TA = 120
and CYA = 0

so I added more shock and swim because the chlorine disappeared overnight and even though the water was clear green I was thinking with the chlorine wasting and the slimy feel that it was the beginning of algae

I then came home today and the pool is still green, but not as bad, but the chlorine had gone back to zero.

here are my latest tests after adding more chlorine and shaking the CYA sock a bit:

TH = 0
FC = 3
pH=7.2
TA = 120
and CYA = 0

HELP!!! what should I do? I have no clue now!

also can we swim in it the way it is? (this of course is the most important because it is HOT!!)

thank you so much I know this is a bit too long to be kosher for a forum, but I just had to tell you what all I did!

thank you
Timi

no we filled it with city water from the tap... I was thinking metals, but I can see brown algae stuff (dead algae?) around the filter intake thing and on the bottom. I read the ABC's and chlorine CYA, but I will have to keep reading the rest... thanks!

my daughter keeps begging to swim though! do you think it would be safe?

Welcome to TFP Timi !
For us to give you good solid advice read the links above so you have an idea of what you water needs and how to get it there. Read over it a couple of times as it can be overwhelming. You'll understand it the more you read it
I can't over state the need for a good test kit. You need to be able to give us accurate test results for us to give you accurate advice.
In a nutshell it's all about accurate testing along with the knowledge of knowing what your water needs and only what it needs.
Ask questions as they come. ?

If you can see the bottom of the pool, I'll leave it up to you but me personally... I don't swim in green water nor do I let my children swim in green pool water. That's just me. I'm a pool snob and you will be one too once you get everything figured out! :mrgreen:

we did not swim :)

update I got a better testing kit instead of the strips and everything is pretty balanced... the pool calculator just told me to add a little baking soda and a little bleach.

the pool is crystal clear, but still has a slight greenish tint to it? how long does it usually take for this to clear? there was still a bit of the brown clumps of what I am assuming is dead algae (I also changed the filter cartridge because it was full of that) and I scrubbed the bottom and sides with a brush. The pump has also been running non-stop since this all started.

if I do the overnight chlorine test and the chlorine isn't getting used up... should I start thinking about something else like metals maybe?

I read through the materials posted above as well a couple of times and I feel like I am starting to get the hang of it... it seems so hard till it just clicks then I just feel silly for making it so complicated.

thank you so much for all of your help!

I am planning on ordering the one on here, so I just got the hth one... it has 6 tests I think in it... I just got it to use instead of the strips until I can decide which one from here to order.

my results tonight were:
CYA 40
FC 3
pH 7.5
and TA 90.

I didn't worry about the hardness test since I have a vinyl above ground. are there any other tests that I should do or get?

A little hint on which kit to get. The TF-100 is the best value and the one I use along with many others.
Now with those results, your FC is at the min for the CYA level. If your CYA is 40, you want to target 7 and you can't let it fall below 3. This kit won't read FC above 5. You need a FAS/DPD test kit.
If your green color is a clear green you could have metals. A CC test would be nice also but that kit won't do it.
Get the TF -100. You won't regret it !

ok I will get that test!

if I boost the FC to 7 tonight and the pool clears up by tomorrow is it safe to swim with the FC at 7 or does it need to be at 4 or less?

- - - Updated - - -

I was also reading about small celled green algae, which seems like it could be the culprit!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your pool is green I wouldn't get in it. Your pool won't clear by tomorrow. You need to follow the SLAM Process to rid it of algae. Read that process. It has to followed to the T. To SLAM your pool you need to have the good test kit. The HTH kit won't help you with the SLAM process.
Order the kit and keep reading until it comes. When it comes post up a set of test results and we can start getting your water back into shape. ?

the CH was 0.

since it is going to take 5 days for the test to come... should I raise my FC to shock level based on the CYA/Chlorine levels tonight and try to do the OCLT test with the FC kit I have? I know it is not as accurate, but I am scared to wait 5 days to start... the algae will go crazy by then and half of the summer will be gone (that might be a bit dramatic :)

Timi, You can't perform the OCLT with the test kit you have because it's not as precise as the TF100 FAS/DPD test. Once you get the kit, you will see what I'm talking about. It's a powder and drop test kit. You add powder, solution turns pink and you count drops and multiply by 2 for your FC. This test can measure FC levels up to 50ppm and is why it's so valuble when SLAM'ing the pool. The one you're using, you fill the vial and drop in 5 drops and see what shade of yellow you have and it only tests to 5ppm Completely different and No way to accurately read FC with the HTH. ;)

The TF100 is an excellent investment to your pool and if taken care of and stored properly, will last you into next year.

I realized that was a totally stupid question after I asked it and thought about it for a minute... :/

I did however use the CYA/chlorine chart and just shock the pool and have been keeping up on changing out/cleaning the filter cartridge and this morning the green is almost completely gone!! woooo but I will wait to get in until we get the new kit and can do the proper testing. its so hard to wait though!!

thank you for everyone's help and putting up with my dumb questions :)
I have already learned so much in so little time!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.