Almost successful SLAM - but what are the little white globs?

JulieLeo

LifeTime Supporter
May 13, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I had a bad case of mustard algae and have been SLAMing my pool this week.

Today the water is crystal clear and here are my readings using the TF-100 test kit:
CL - 20
ph - 7.5
TA- 150
Ch -50
CYA 60

I was cleaning out the bugs and stuff from the bottom of my crystal clear water and scooped up these little white mushy globs sort of the consistency of suntan lotion. Pic attached. Does anyone know what they are?

Also, I still have to do another overnight chlorine test in the morning to see if it stays the same....and cc are less than .5.

If all is good with the test....do I just keep letting the chlorine level drop to the correct level and then add more bleach as needed?

Attachments

• whitestuffinpool.jpg
    whitestuffinpool.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 69
I have no idea what those white blobs are.

If you pass the OCLT then you can let the FC drift to normal levels for your CYA and maintain there.

Before I SLAMed the pool my CYA was very high because I was stupid and thought the chlorine tablets were going to help with keeping the water clean. Could it be little bits of those or maybe some left over baking soda that didn't dissolve that I used before I did the SLAM?

- - - Updated - - -

btw -- I did empty 1000 gal of water to clear up the CYA.....then the DH and g'kids went swimming in the nice new water and left the ladder in the pool.....I'm thinking the ladder caused the mustard algae to start with.

Could the kids have gotten ahold of the sun screen and dispersed it into the pool? I have kids and mine would so do that! :shock:

The criteria for completion of the SLAM are...

1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Those white, unknown flecks in your pool are enough to fail the SLAM.......water with white flecks is not sparkling.

Since no one has an idea of what they are, how they got there, or what to do next, I would suggest you maintain your SLAM value of chlorine until the white stuff is completely removed or dissolved.

Then, you have crystal clear water and can perform the OCLT and complete the SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.