Ring that rope float attaches to?

dayhiker

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 6, 2008
Pell City, AL
Does anyone know what the ring is called that screws to the side of hte pool that rope floats attach to? I'm calling a rope float the thing that divides the shallow from the deep end. It's a rope with little floats attached.

My pool was installed late last summer. The rope float has a hook on one end but is hard connected at the other end. The only way to get it off is to cut it. I have kids 8, 6, and less than 2. Right now, I don't need the floats but summer after next will want it again when the soon to be 2 year old is almost 4. It seems cheaper to buy one of these rings to replace the one hard connected to the rope. When I want the rope again, I'll just change out the ring. By ring, I mean the thing that the hook on the rope float connects to. I called Leslie's. They didn't have one....or at least he didn't know how to look it up on their computer. I can't find it on their website, mainly because I don't know what this little doo-dad is actually called.

Any suggestions?

HAYSP404.gif

If it something like this, if it is a bolt, there is a nut on the back that you will loose when you take it off. Then you will have to use one of those cheap fittings that screws into the coping.

I don't see why you would want to remove the rope float anyways. If it is in you way disconnect one end and take it out of the pool. It's there for a good reason.

I would rethink removing it permanently.

What about when you have friends over with small children?

Posted after John's post... It sounds to me like he wants to remove the ring on the side of his pool where the rope hooks on to.

I would also like to add that installing the coping rings that screw in after concrete is poured is not a smooth or easy ordeal. You have to ruin a good metal drill bit to get through the aluminum and then you have to hammer drill out a pilot hole through the concrete. Dont even waste your time with a masonary bit on a regular drill. This usually results in a hole too large for your screws. You will then have to put stick epoxy into the hole and thread your screw into it once it is partially set up. Not that im speaking from experience with trying to do this or anything...

MEvan said:
I would also like to add that installing the coping rings that screw in after concrete is poured is not a smooth or easy ordeal. You have to ruin a good metal drill bit to get through the aluminum and then you have to hammer drill out a pilot hole through the concrete. Dont even waste your time with a masonary bit on a regular drill. This usually results in a hole too large for your screws. You will then have to put stick epoxy into the hole and thread your screw into it once it is partially set up. Not that im speaking from experience with trying to do this or anything...

All the holes are there, I just need to back out the screw that's there and retighten once the ring piece is back in.

Heck I would just cut the rope and buy a new rope when the time comes. There is nothing that says the rope has to be attached just like that. I told my pool builder to just give me the rope and I would put it on myself. I tied it on when I needed it and now it is gone for good.

There is actually a "needle" type piece of plastic you can buy (think I saw them in the rope section at HD for less than 3.00) that will recreate that exact look in the pic.

Essentially, you insert the rope inside itself. I did it about 10 years ago on a project and it was a little tricky but came out very acceptable.

The rope is just braided, you can do it with most ropes, look it up, it should not be too hard to undo it, once that is done, I would redo it right away around a hook that you can clip on and off of the one already there. Make sure it is stainless too. I have been taught how to do it, but never done it yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I tried to undo the braiding last night and the braid from both side extends all the way and possibly to the first float about 9"-12" away. It looks like I"m back to replacing that ring piece.

Anyone know what it's called?

Nope. But I found this....http://www.recreonics.com/rope_lane_line_accessories.htm and they have similar products. Perhaps try and contact them with your picture and see if they have any ideas or recommendations. Your product is not going to be sold where typically one would get pool supplies, it would be more of a builder/supplier kind of purchase. This company might be able to point you in a better direction? Just a thought. Item 14-475 is kind of like what you have...? but not exactly...? Hard to tell from the pick.

Good luck. :)

I talked to my installer. He said the thing is called a pool float anchor. The rope goes around the anchor and then back inside itself like a chinese finger trap then goes into the first float where it's screwed in place. That explains why I couldn't unbraid the rope. I never even looked at the dang float. I'll check that out tonight.

THought I'd pass along the resolution in case anyone else is as :hammer: as me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.