Newbie here. Never owned a pool before....

Jul 15, 2014
Yucca
So, just bought a house with a pool in it. Owner said he had pool company out to service and clean it before closing. Everything seemed great, we even swam in it a few times. I bought a test kit at Walmart about a week into owning it and was thoroughly confused. The darn pad was red where it should be shades of white, Blue where it should be shades of red, green where it should be shades of blue.... etc.... Nothing made sense. I thought it might have been my eyes... I'm getting older, could be me.. Bought a digital reader for the little strips. That told me my Alkaline was 240. I bought MA, dumped a gallon in, waited.... tested again, again, 240. Called pool store, they said add more MA. Added another gallon, tested 240 again. Fully frustrated by this time. Took a sample of my water in to the pool store, before he even pulled his strip out of my water, he said I need to do a total drain of pool and start over. I found out from neighbors who happened to be friend of the prior owner that he never drained his pool or did anything other than shock it. It's a IG fiberglass pool and if I did my calculations right, around 18k gallons. Water looked fine, but chemicals were way out of wack. I drained the pool and found this site. So, today I have been filling up the pool, and I'm sure I'll be back after the water is in the pool and I test it again to find out what to do once I know what my water tests like.

Oh, I have a Sta-Rite DE filter, well water, and TF-100 test kit ordered :cool:

Any advice at this stage of the game?

...found this site.

I'm sure I'll be back after the water is in the pool and I test it again to find out what to do once I know what my water tests like.

...and TF-100 test kit ordered :cool:

Any advice at this stage of the game?

It doesn't look like you need any advice. You're right on track! Do the tests when the pool is full (there are videos of how to do them if you're unsure) and post the results. Welcome to TFP! In the meanwhile, you can read up on the various articles on Pool School while waiting for it to fill. =)

Awesome! Thanks. I have been reading all the articles voraciously since finding this site, and will continue to read all the positive results and help to issues others have had so I don't re-ask questions.

I know pictures are greatly appreciated, and this won't really help with water quality, but it will show the pool situation. draining pool.jpg

You are on the right path-----finding TFP and ordering a good test kit!

It will not hurt to put some chlorine in your pool as it fills and using a broom to stir it in good.

Read, read, read

We do NOT mind questions if you do not understand or just want to make sure. There are even videos of all of the tests to help you out!

Look at pool math as well. It is fun to play with.

WELCOME!

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.