Intellichlor communication problems with Easy Touch Panel?

I have an IC40 and Easy Touch 4 Panel and live in Canada so pool season is from May to October. My Easy Touch salt reading are either Salt OK 3550 PPM No Errors (corresponds to a green light on IC) or 2750 PPM Low Salt (orange light on IC). I have never had a reading in between (in 50 ppm increments) as the manual says which is why I bought it. I have been back and forth with PB and Pentair Support as of late. First for a Firm Ware Upgrade (Pentair rep came out, upgraded firmware). I was then told to clean cell with m acid, etc in case of build up.

History: Got my IC40 and Easy Touch Panel unit in fall 2006, installed in May 2007 (last year), had problems and waited around for the PB to get me a new unit which he promised. This never happened to address the problem. This year I went straight to Pentair but still no replacements or proper repair. They are telling me my Firmware is still wrong and needs to go to V2.0. I have V1.05. They are telling me I need more diagnostics before they will replace either the IC 40 cell or the LED screen/circuit board on the Easy Touch.

My IC40 seems to work although I did have to recalibrate (it is a V1.6).

All else works with Easy Touch. IC controls my water well and it is generally perfect even through torrential downpours we've had in July other than having to add some salt.

Has anyone had any similar problems with IC communicating with Easy Touch?

Frustrated with Easy Touch!

Is your salt level accurate? How often does it jump? have you been getting calcium build up in your cell? Try visually inspecting the cell for calium deposts. Next time you are reading high or low salt take a water sample to a pool store and get your salt and calcium tested after inspecting the cell. Check the settings in your easy touch and be sure your cell is programed correctly. This probobly isnt the issue so dont go and erase your epromp settings or anything yet.

One common reason for this is low flow with intellichlors. Do you ahve 12 inches of strait pipe before and after the cell? Does the cell tend to read innacuratly when your pump is on low speed? If you have a 2 speed pump try running it on high for a week and see if you get a steady reading.

I hope this helps

Thanks Matthew. I have a single speed 3/4 horse high head pump and flow is very good. I have a little less than 12" of straight pipe on either side but have had no issues related to flow so I doubt that is the problem as the machine does work. I have cross checked IC green and yellow lights with pool salt readings from the pool store and all numbers seem consistent with what IC is indicating. Pentair had me recalibrate the IC as the lights were way out off wack compared to salt levels (I was getting a low salt reading when I had plenty of salt in the pool. Recalibration fixed that.

I have also had all my levels checked and cleaned the unit already (it was brand new looking inside).

Now my only problem is getting the proper reading on the Easy Touch screen. Pentair suspects the motherboard could be slightly out of order for the salt reading display. They want to do a firmware upgrade before replacing it (Want to take me to version 2.0) I'm at 1.05 now.

Its as if the IC unit is not connected to Easy Touch and just the IC40 reading corrsponding to green and yellow light is displaying. Only readings I get are either good salt (3550ppm) or low salt (2750 ppm) and never anything in between.

Thanks for suggesting.

Vince,
I think its the IC40 not the motherboard. I also have the Easytouch and considered the IC40. I decided otherwise because of numerous reports of inaccurate salt readings with the IC40.

I would call your PB and insist that the unit be replaced! Another option is to use another means of testing your salt level and live with the malfunctioning unit....

Keep us posted,

Thanks Dave. I have thought of the alternative measuring methods many times and wished I had known about this forum before I committed to the Easy Touch/IC units.

I seem to be working with a good tech at Pentair right now so we'll see what turns up. They don't think its the IC. If this does not get resolved soon, they promised to get me a new unit as its under warranty. Really can't blame my PB. He's just trying to bring convenient products to customers. Pentair on the other hand, is a different matter. Clearly they rushed a product to market without having all the bugs fixed. Their manuals leave a lot to be desired as well.

I want to get an Intellitouch remote unit but I'm wondering if that will work properly.

I will post when I know more.

I only have the remote control. I am able to turn on/off pool lights, set timers, turn on/off and adjust heater temp, see the pool and outdoor temp, control landscape lighting etc.. It is really a nice little remote.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I guess you don't have a screen with it so you can't see diagnostics like salt levels, setting super chlorinate, etc. I'm going to get one (maybe even wireless) once I get everything working properly. I've put my light controls on separate switches in the front of the pool house which is away from the Easy Touch panel in the back.

Hi Dave. I have at long last resolved my issues. By mid August I received a new circuit board for the EasyTouch Panel based on Pentair engineering recoomendations. Replaced it without issues however still did not solve my salt reading issues witht he IC40. Contacted Pentair again and they said they would ship me a new IC 40 chlorinator unit. That arrived mid September. Replaced the unit and everything finally works well. Problems have all gone away.

So now I have an extra circuit board for Easy Touch 4 Panel and a spare IC40 unit that works fine except for giving the worng salt level reading. Have since got the wireless remote unit and it it also works well.

Incidentally, the IC40 unit that was replaced was Vers 1.6 whereas the new one that is problem free is Vers 1.9. It also has much brighter lights. Sitting at about 3800 ppm salt. Now I get to close to the pool as our season is pretty much over. Hopefully 2009 will be trouble free.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.