Learning here! Can I get your opinion?

Jun 19, 2014
Washington, Il
We have had a pool for the last 7 years and I have always been in charge of vacuuming and swimming, lol. My husband left for an out of town for business and I had to take care of the pool. The night before he left we discovered algae. So after a very long week of researching and dumping in chemicals I found this forum and was able to get rid of the algae. I ordered my K-2006 kit off amazon and got it the next day so I could get started. I did exactly what I learned and I am proud to say we will no longer be frequenting the pool store, my husband is totally on board. My question is I seem to be losing a lot of chlorine and wanted to make sure I am doing things right, so here's my latest reading. We lose anywhere between 2-4ppm per day of chlorine. Now I will say we have had a lot of sunshine, even though it's been cooler here in the last 2 weeks.

PH 7.4
FC 8.5
CYA 70
TA 170
CC 130

We did drain about 6" of water 2 weeks ago and the CYA came down from 100 to 70. My PH has been between 7.6 and 7.4 steady.

A 2-4ppm loss is pretty normal. Although with the higher CYA, I would have expected on the lower end.

Did you pass the OCLT when you got rid of the algae? Has the FC dropped too low since then?

Yes I passed the OCLT once I got rid of the algae and my water has never looked better. It just seems like we are using a lot of bleach. I have been cleaning the filter twice a week and I haven't had to clean the pool but once a week. I used to spend all my time vacuuming, that has gotten better since the Aquabot but even now it's only once a week and that's just because I feel like I should.

Not related, but likely no reason to clean the filter so ofter. We recommend cleaning when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

Once you have a clean pool ... the maintenance can become downright boring with nothing to do besides :swim: ;)

I guess I just got stuck in the mindset that I should always be doing something to the pool or I would lose it. We have fought algae at least twice a season for the last 3 years. I hope now that I have found you guys I never have to deal with it again. 5 mins everyday is so worth it to me!

Thank you!! I am a research kind of girl. I would rather spend my time getting it right the first time, rather than waste precious time and money. Now I am completely addicted to checking our water and reading the forums here. It's funny because the other day the water wasn't sparkly enough and I told my husband our numbers are off and sure enough checked it and PH was a little high and FC was low. I have learned so much from this site, a month ago I never paid attention to pool because it was my husbands job. Let me tell you the hours I put into getting it back from the algae changed my mindset going forward. I just wish I would have known about TFP years ago. We are getting ready to drain the hot tub and utilize what we know from here in there too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.