Salt Water Test turns clumpy

May 1, 2012
NC USA
I ordered the salt water test kit and when it arrived yesterday we immediately tested twice. The outcome has confused us. When we add the first drops(chromate) to the water sample as directed-it turned yellow like we read should happen. However, when we added the silver nitrate to the sample- it clumps up in the bottom and didn't change the color to salmon-ish. It just becomes more clumpy. Is this reaction common and supposed to happen? I wasn't sure how long to continue to add the SN drops after that clumping because I wasn't sure that was what was supposed to be happening and don't want to waste my drops.

Thoughts? Thank you!

I'll include today's test numbers in case it is relevant:
CL-5
PH-7.8
FC- 5
CC-0
TC-5
TA-80
CH-90
CYA-0 (we added stabilizer twice last week-in a sock- but it doesn't appear to be showing up)

Where did you purchase the salt kit from? Someone should be along soon to help you as I've never used one. :goodjob:

Hi Casey,

Thank you for your note!

I purchased the test kit through Dave S.- user name Duraleigh on TFP. I also bought my other pool test, the TF100 from him. I did ask him for info because of the seemingly odd results but he doesn't have a salt water pool and could not help me.

If there is anyone who knows what this means or if it means anything, please share your thoughts with me.

Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.