Filtering particulates from the bulk of the water

Jun 20, 2014
Tucson, AZ
OK - quick/not-so-quick question - is there a simple chemical (I know, I shouldn't ask this), or perhaps mechanical method, for more quickly removing particulates from the BULK of the pool water.

Double-edge sword, I have lots of nice indigenous landscaping (and some foreign transplants as well :)) all around my pool. And don't even get me started on those mesquite trees!! So I'm basically out there once a day (at least) with the skimmer pole and KreepyKrauly runs 24/7 whenever the pump is on (I take him out when we swim). But let me be clear, my pool water is beautifully clear and sparkly. However, I do see particulates in the bulk of the water, stuff that's obviously blown in debris that has not floated to the top or settled to the bottom thereby avoiding death by skimmer or KK. AT night, with the pool light on, you can see all the little bubbles in the water as well as the debris a little better.

Just wondering if there's anything quick and simple that won't totally hose my nice looking pool or it's lovely chemistry. I'm sure the stuff eventually settles out somewhere (top or bottom), but if I'm feeling impatient, or in the mood to show off to a neighbor, is there anything I can do short of clear-cutting the beautiful landscape and reducing it all to rocks and sand???

Like you said it's either going to float, skimmer gets it or it sinks and the KK takes care of it. Maybe some more filter time ? I see you have a DE so that should do a good job on the small stuff that's suspended. Have you ever tried a knee high over the skimmer basket ?
I have a DE filter and still see very small particles with the light on at night. Probably not going to every little particle.
I don't know of any chem to use.

Just to clarify equipment a bit. I run the KK off a separate vacuum port. But ultimately it all goes the the pump where a three-way Jandy valve splits the flow from the skimmer/main drain and KK. The Jandy is set so that it's 75% open to the KK and 25% pulling on the skimmer/mains. That's what seems to satisfy the KK while still seeing a good swirl in the skimmer.

Perhaps I need to use the KK less and turn the skimmer up to 100% more often to try to capture the stuff that floats into the pool. That requires a manual adjustment to the Jandy :( I like the KK because I just set it and forget it but perhaps I need to just let him take a break more often.

Any thoughts out there on splitting up the use of the skimmer and a suction side cleaner?

PS - I like the idea of putting a fine nylon on the skimmer basket.

PPS - I have a Hayward in line leaf trap on the KK, maybe I should buy a finer mesh insert for it?? Right now it just uses the standard mesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.