BABES: a better method than “BBB” for pools with a salt-water chlorine generator

clifft

Jun 16, 2014
SAN ANTONIO, TX
Anyone seen this?

1.0 Summary

A swimming pool is an aqueous solution of interacting chemicals that determine appeal and
safety for swimmers. The chemistry varies widely, depending on what is added to the pool. In
recent decades, there has been an increasing trend towards domestic outdoor pools that use
electrolytic salt-water chlorine generators for sanitation (SWC pools). These typically have
cyanuric acid for photoprotection, and sometimes boric acid for improved pH buffering.
Critical thinking about the chemistry indicates simple principles for efficient SWC pool
maintenance, some of which differ from the traditional advice to non-salt pool operators. This
article describes a simple approach built on the “BBB” tradition. The improved “BABES”
method integrates the use of boric acid for pH buffering, hydrochloric (muriatic) acid to
correct pH updrift from SWC operation, brushing to help prevent biofilms, electricity and
common salt for sanitizer production. It explains the contribution of each of these
components, then explores the scientific basis for the few additional compounds that should
be considered, and those that should be avoided, for trouble-free SWC pool maintenance.
Along the way it points out key myths and uncertainties to encourage deeper analysis. It ends
with a simple set of operational guidelines that an SWC pool operator can adopt with
confidence, or vary to suit their needs based on the scientific foundations in the article.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~jorobbirch/BABES.pdf

We do not use the BBB term anymore ... we refer to it as the Trouble Free Pool Care (TFPC) method.
Honestly the BABES acronym seems overly confusing to me for pool newbies.

A VERY quick scan of the document did not provide any earth-shattering revelation that we do not already teach.

Very heavy reading, not something most people will want to attempt.

They recommend borates at 100, which is higher than what I consider the safety limit to be. They also suggest avoiding adding any carbonates (no baking soda) which is alright if you accept borates at 100, except what do you do if your fill water contains carbonates (many places do).

Just spotted this at the very end:
Effective management of pH and HOCl levels really are the keys to a ‘trouble-free pool’
'trouble-free' is use a few times in the article and there are also at least 5 references to specific TFP.com threads
:lol:

He reviewed his document with me for comments and he took some from posts here, some from calculations from my spreadsheet, and a lot from his own research of a variety of sources pretty much consistent with what I've found either from similar or the same sources (he has a few things I hadn't found before such as UV absorption curves for bromine). He also writes about Boric Acid as a Swimming Pool Buffer. He found a scientific source that claims there is no surface tension reduction from using borates, but I swear that the meniscus is always flatter every time I've used borates in the water so who knows? He does reference everything. As shown in this link he is a Professor at the University of Queensland.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.