Waterway 2 speed pump

Jul 15, 2014
rockton,il
I am hooking up a 230 volt pump 2 speed waterway pump. I have 4 wires 2 hot (black and red) one neutral and one ground. I have the black on the high speed the red on low speed terminal and the common on the neutral and the ground Green on the ground screw. The problem I am having is the with the low speed when I turn the manual switch I installed on low the pump starts but I hear a clicking sound. when I turn the switch to high pump works great. I have switched out pumps and switched the two hot's but still have the same problem any help would be appreciated???? Going nuts with this. I have a 1.5 Hp pump with two speeds 230 volt. the Black is going to L1, the common is going to L2 the red is going to A and the ground to the gorung.

http://www.inyopools.com/howtoimages/36/398/Step 7 P1060245 2X.JPG?format=jpg&maxwidth=800

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 25
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I am not sure you have it wired correctly. A 230V setup does not have a neutral.
How is your switch wired?

From the source/timer you should have 3 wires (Line 1, Line 2, and Ground). Line 1 should go directly to the common on the motor (apparently you are saying this is L2, but check the diagram on the motor). Line 2 should go to the center of your switch and then there should be 2 wires off the switch connected to the high and low speed terminals.

I have a double pull/double throw switch, the red and the black go through the switch, so I do only basically have 110v going to pump ant any time?? here are a couple diagrams. pool 1.jpgpool 3.jpg

I am now thinking my switch is wrong too

- - - Updated - - -

so I should get a single pole double throw switch and take the black to common L2 and then take the two wires off the switch place one on L1 and the second on A and get rid of the white neutral wire?

You only need a SPDT switch because only one LINE needs to be switched ... so you would only use one side of the DPDT switch.
The other LINE should not go through a switch at all and should be directly to L2.

The pump runs one either L2 and L1 OR on L2 and A ... there should never be power to both L1 and A at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

What you said is correct. OR just repurpose and tag (if allowed by code) the white wire and change the connections in the switch and pump to avoid pulling new wire.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.