New 24' ABG Start Up

Jul 2, 2014
Macomb, MI
Hello,
Pool just got installed today and is in the process of being filled (24' round 13,500 gallons). The pool installer said I should add 4 gallons of 10% bleach while the pool was filling, but that seems like an aweful lot to me (especially when I look at the pool math calculator). Pump will not be running on the pool until electrical install is completed on Saturday (perhaps not until I pass inspection on Monday) so perhaps that is why he told me to go so high? My gut is telling me I should add a gallon to the pool and then check FC (my TH-100 kit comes tomorrow), but what level should I try to maintain until the pump is online? Do I need to do an initial shock? Installer indicated I should add at the hose and stir around with the skimmer which makes sense, will I have issues if I add more bleach the next few days without the pump running?

Lots of questions I know. Just want to make sure I don't mess something up while I am waiting to get the pump running.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I would only add and maintain about 2ppm of FC since there is no CYA in the pool. You can brush the pool after you add the chlorine to help it mix.
No reason for an initial "shock".

At least they got you started with liquid chlorine (bleach). Another thing you will need is stabilizer (CYA). Without it, the sun will be burning off your chlorine. You can find it at Wal Mart, Lowes, Home Depot, or a (gasp) pool store. Don't waste your money on the Liquid Stabilizer.

You can use the tablets in a floater as soon as you start adding water. Just track how may you use and use PoolMath to calculate the amount of CYA they are adding. You could put some CYA in a sock and let it start floating around too and dissolving ... or just wait for the pump to be running.

If you add the CYA to a sock and manipulate the sock in the water, you can get it dissolved pretty quickly. :goodjob: I'd save the tabs for vacation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.