Re-using my sand in new filter?

jpndi

LifeTime Supporter
May 20, 2008
My existing 300# sand filter has a crack a couple inches from bottom. Not sure how it happened, but after I noticed that my water was going down I checked my fittings and found they were all okay... then found the crack.

I now have a new Hayward 300# filter and was wondering if I can use the old media in the new filter? Since I used pea gravel to cover the laterals in the old filter the sand will have some peas in it. I was thinking I would use the old media and just put a new 50# bag of sand in for last few inches.

Any opinions?

I would be inclined to use the sand again as I understand it doesn't "go bad". I don't know, however, if the pebbles are an ok addition. Anyone else?

I'm inclined to think if they are too large they are simply taking up space and not doing much good for you as a filter medium.

It is my understanding that the primary filtration is in the top few inches of the filter. Many filters suggest peas in the bottom covering the laterals by a couple of inches. I am wondering if some peas in the main body of the filter will affect it adversely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.