How long before I can test CYA after adding CYA to my sand filter

Mar 12, 2012
Maryland
I have zero CYA. I added 3 lbs of powdered 100% CYA to my 13,500 gallon above ground pool. Based on the pool calculator I should add about 4.5 lbs. The instructions say to wait 24hours, but I read here that I should wait about a week. I added directly into the intake and the pump has ran constantly.

I stick with the recommended week. Also, most here do not recommend dumping it into the skimmer, rather place it in a sock and hang it in front of a return or put that sock in the skimmer. This way you know it has dissolved into the water and there is no possibility of it clumping up in one of your pipes and causing a clog.

I stick with the recommended week. Also, most here do not recommend dumping it into the skimmer, rather place it in a sock and hang it in front of a return or put that sock in the skimmer. This way you know it has dissolved into the water and there is no possibility of it clumping up in one of your pipes and causing a clog.

Thanks I used the shock method last year but I figured it might be better to put it in the filter because I may dissolve faster since water is rushing through it in the filter. I checked my pressures and they stayed relatively the same....

It would help us if you would add your location to your profile and the following information to your signature.

• The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
  • If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
  • Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
  • What kind/model of water test kit you are using
  • Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

Actually, you would get more water flowing over the sock in the skimmer than when it is in the filter. The water in the filter is not "rushing", it is moving much slower than in the skimmer.

To answer your original question, it is fine to calculate your dosage, enter that dosage into your pool and then ASSUME it is in there even though the CYA test may not record it for several more days.

We wish that CYA test was more responsive but it is not so we all just learn to deal with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.