Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Portable pool filling right now, sloped?!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Portable pool filling right now, sloped?!!!!

We just assembled a 15X31 portable pool. 3" top rails -- HEAVY and hard to assemble. (Oh, I don't want to have to take it down, or empty our well refilling it!) It is about 1/2 way full and, even though we paid to have it "professionally" levelled, it is 2 1/2" - 3" deeper on one end.

I'm so very frustrated. We have had delay after delay with the levelers, with pool delivery, with needing to have several extra people available for assembly, and now to start all over? We live in Pacific NW, so swimming season is about over. I have 5 kids going to be very unhappy. (Thanks for letting me vent!)

Anyone with experience, good or bad, please advise on how level the pool really has to be. I don't want to jeopardize pool integrity, and I'll start over if I must, but if there's any tolerance to small grade, I'd sure love to hear that!

Elyn

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Portable pool filling right now, sloped?!!!!

The bottom itself can be unlevel that much with no problem. I'd be concerned if the top rail is that much out of level. Have tried measuring from the water surface to the top rail at several spots to get a feel for where the problem is?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm afraid that it is unlevel from top of rail to water surface. Huge sigh.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yup.

We had a drop of about 3 inches on our 20' round AG pool the first time we put it up.

Kept trying to convince my self it would be alright, but when it was getting closer to being filled, well, it looked like it wanted to 'roll' down hill. The posts had a definite 'lean' to them.

Had to excavate and level a new area, leveled some concrete pavers for the post bases. Got it level to withing a quarter of an inch all the way around.

Didn't put chlorine in the pool the first time, so just used it to water all lf the trees...

Not a lot of fun, but was glad I did it. Just didn't like doing it twice. The upside is that it was a lot easier the second time around.

Good Luck!
    Splash Around 20' Round Above Ground Pool, 1hp Pump Motor, Cartridge Filter (9,000 gallon)

5. Back To Top    #5

2.5 to 3 inches off. WOW. With the laser levels on the market now, someone didn't know how to set it up.

First I would let the "professionally" installed people know bad they did. Tell them that this fall, come back and redo the work. After school starts and swim season is done, drain the pool and have them come back to redo their work. Your well should beable to handle the refill. I'm figuring you are going to leave the pool up all winter.

Second, since you are on a well,(and the pool is half full now) I would fill the pool until the skimmer can work and let the kids swim.

Your only other choice is to drain the pool and do it now. Your swim season will be almost none and you 'll be putting a strain on the well/pump. You can't redue the pool and leave it for very long without about 3/4 full water in it.

Sorry, but that's how I see it.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Coming from someone who used to have well water.
    Tasted way better than city water too.

You could always drain the pool right back into the well with a garden hose if you can and maybe chlorinate your well water too if it tastes funky

Just throwing ideas out there.
    Intex 15' X 48" metal frame pool
    Waterway Supreme 1hp 2 Speed pump
    Hayward X-Stream 150 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter
    2-2'x20' Sungrabber Solar Panels hooked up in parallel on a Goldline GL-235 controller.

Not getting "Pool Stored" = Priceless!!!
    Thank you TFP

7. Back To Top    #7

Well elyn22000, you asked the question on Monday morning, what did you do?

Just wondering.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Got a pump running draining the pool. Bummer. Right now, running water with a hose to nearby fruit trees so I will feel like it's less of a waste. Unfortunately, the skimmer was on the "shallow" end of the pool, so even temporary use was questionable. Best to have it done right, I guess. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Elyn

9. Back To Top    #9

Sorry!

Did you call the original team that "leveled" the pool and complain?
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-
    20x40 Free Form Gunite (3'-8'), 26,000 G, AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generator SC-48, Aqua blue pebble sheen, Textured Sundek, Pentair Easy touch with remote control, 1hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Max-E- Therm heater 333k BTU, System 3 Mod Media Cartridge filter, and Polaris 380 cleaner with booster pump