CH and its effect on Pizza Dough and the water in NY, a quanitative study...

...in subjective terms. From posts split from Balanced now water feels different . Zea3

I think this very subjective but I always feel like my skin is a lot dryer and "crusty" when I swim in high CH water. I grew up in the NY where there's very little Ca in the water, the water is more acidic and usually has a good amount of iron in it (and it's the only water that can make good pizza dough, but that's a topic for a different TFP thread). That water always feels better on my skin. I now live in the SW where we can't get CH below 280ppm unless you have a solid water softner.

So my vote is for CH as the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pizza dough is a great point Sunny, but don't forget the bagels as well!

Balanced, now water feels "different"

The pizza dough is a great point Sunny, but don't forget the bagels as well!

–------------------------------------
NOTE TO MODS- Split this topic off to the coffee bar forum if you feel we're off topic.
-------------------------------------

I grew up on LI (Stony Brook) and live in NYC for 10 years, so I have not had real pizza and bagels ever since leaving in 2009 :(

We lived in CA for 3 years (no Dunkin Donuts there either :( ) and I found out that there was this pizza joint in San Clemente ( just before Camp Pendleton on I-5) that would truck in water and flour from back east to make their pizza!!! Never tried it because we lived north of there in Irvine but I bet the pizza tasted a lot better. And it seems all pizza shops use these conveyorized convection oven to cook pizza instead of a good old gas fired slab pizza oven....oi, what bunch of pizza rubes out here...that's my trade-off for living in the beautiful southwest, I must forgo good pizza...what a martyr I am....

There's a pizza place here in orlando that has the water trucked in from NY... needless to say the pizza is some of the best I've ever had. :D

Truly authentic Italian NY style pizza has five components -

1. Acidic water quality found East of the Mississippi River with dissolved iron and low Ca;

2. Authentic Durum wheat flour (low in gluten and high in protein);

3. Real, handmade marinara sauce with extra tomato paste to thicken it a bit, not junk from can;

4. Real, whole milk mozzarella (pronounced moat-za-Rella with a rolling 'R', NOT MattZa-rella...), and

5. A gas fired flat iron oven that cooks the pizza from the bottom up.

If you have those things, you can make real pizza. Anything else is just a sad imitation.

Truly authentic Italian NY style pizza has five components -

1. Acidic water quality found East of the Mississippi River with dissolved iron and low Ca;

2. Authentic Durum wheat flour (low in gluten and high in protein);

3. Real, handmade marinara sauce with extra tomato paste to thicken it a bit, not junk from can;

4. Real, whole milk mozzarella (pronounced moat-za-Rella with a rolling 'R', NOT MattZa-rella...), and

5. A gas fired flat iron oven that cooks the pizza from the bottom up.

If you have those things, you can make real pizza. Anything else is just a sad imitation.

Yeah can't recall the name of the place, but from what I was told this sums it up. But they do get their water from NY and it's the real deal as far as how it's made. Pretty rare here in FL.

A few years back I had to make a business trip to NY and I caught up with my brother in NYC. I had been in CA for three years at that point. We went out for pizza. I devoured an entire large pie on my own and my brother was laughing the whole time.

Since then, I have not had a good slice of pizza...I might try FoodieDirect.com to see if they are shipping any authentic NY pizza.....and yes, I'd pay the premium for the next day air shipment of flash frozen pizza from NY....

Nyflyingpizza.com

You're welcome. Haha.

This place is on Long Island right in bethpage where I used to live. I've eaten there multiple times, and they do make a good pie. Doesn't hurt to give it a shot.

Nyflyingpizza.com

You're welcome. Haha.

This place is on Long Island right in bethpage where I used to live. I've eaten there multiple times, and they do make a good pie. Doesn't hurt to give it a shot.

AWESOME!!!! I am soooo ordering one to be shipped out next week!

If it's as good as they say, my wife and I are going to need a new line in our family budget for pizza addiction services.....

Well I have to admit defeat on the flying pizza deal. Not only do they want in excess of $50 for two basic style cheese pies BUT they want over $100 for shipping.

I'm sorry, but paying $150 for two pizzas is a suckers deal no matter how good they are!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.