Started SLAM and pool filter split

jkaba

Jul 7, 2014
Hays, KS
I am a new member to this forum, ordered my test kit, planned my SLAM, and things were going well. I started with CYA of 70-80, and was keeping my FC over 30. Pool was clear after about 10 Hrs. I then turned off my pump via my timer, so that I could change it so it would not shut off overnight. When I turned it back on there was a load pop, and my Hayward S-240 filter split down the side. I am now scrambling to find a replacement for it. My question is what should I do in the meantime, and or after I get it replaced? Should I continue to test and try to keep the FC up, or just wait until I get the filter installed, and then test, and reevaluate at that time?

Have a multiport, but when I set it to Recirc, it leaks. Couldn't find replacement bottom for the S-240, so ordered a new S244T. Am planning on removing the valve, and temporarily plumbing it to recirculate, til the new one arrives.

Prior to the filter blowout, I had brought the FC level to 34. That night I was not able to circulate so pool sat overnight uncirculated. Yesterday at lunch time I was able to get it recirculating again and FC at that time was at 25, so I added 2 more gallons of 8.25% bleach, and that should have taken me back up to 32. Checked chlorine last night and I was at FC 25.5. I just recirculated last night because I just had 1 gallon of bleach left, and this morning FC was at 21. Should I continue to keep adding bleach, and bringing it back up to 32? We are leaving town tomorrow, but will be back late on Saturday and new filter probably won't arrive till Saturday, or Monday. What should I do? Pool is clear, but instructions on Slamming say not to quit adding bleach until FC loses less than 1, and combined less than .5. CC was at .5 this morning. And will I be able to successfully slam without a filter? Bad timing, I know!

You can SLAM without a filter, but you will not complete the SLAM without the filter because you are not filtering the dead stuff out of the water - thus it won't clear. Circulation, brushing and keeping the FC at the shock level for your CYA will kill the bad stuff in the water.

I forgot to mention it has also been raining for the past 2 days here, so how does a person account for the accumulated rain water in the pool? Rained close to an inch yesterday, and is raining again today?

I forgot to mention it has also been raining for the past 2 days here, so how does a person account for the accumulated rain water in the pool? Rained close to an inch yesterday, and is raining again today?
Keep testing and adjusting your FC to the shock level. The rain will dilute the FC a little. The biggest problem with rain is that folks will ignore testing/adjusting while it is raining to keep from getting wet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.