Numbers ALL over the place!

coffeegoddss

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2012
Minooka, IL
Good morning!

I joined TFP about 2 years ago. This site has been a godsend! Since converting to BBB, I have had ZERO problems (until now) and easy-peasy opening and closings. I should have knocked on wood every time I told someone how few problems I've had - lol.

Almost 2 weeks ago, I noticed that my FC was dropping lower than it should have compared to the pool's use. During the day AND with the overnight test* - however, my CC's were always .5 or less. After a few days of this, it occurred to me to check my CYA. At the pool's opening, I set it at @40. Lo and behold! It was still almost completely clear at 20. I have no idea what could have caused this. A few years back, I had that bacteria or whatever it was that converted it to ammonia (the issue that drove me to find this site) and a good shocking cycle - a couple of weeks, in fact - solved the problem and it's been easy going since. However, I didn't think it could be that again since everything else was balanced. I tested several times for the CYA since I know it's subjective but, after a few years, I feel I've got a pretty good handle on it.

Unfortunately, this was all discovered the day we were leaving for a long weekend. I added CYA and there was little I could do but raise the FCs, throw on the solar cover, and set the automatic chlorinator. This is the ONLY time we every use that thing and the solid chlorine - usually only once, maybe twice, during the summer. We were gone for 4 days. I came home to a pool that looked clear - still had high FC - but once the solar cover was removed, the bottom looked like someone had thrown dirt in the pool. It covered the bottom and ladder. I immediately took readings and started the shocking process. It took me almost 2 hours to vacuum. That stirred everything up and now the water is super cloudy. At one point, we were even vacuuming to waste because I'm afraid my cartridge filter wasn't catching everything. The CYA was still very low when I tested it 2 days ago (just shy of a week after it was added) - it should've been back near 40. I got a VERY different reading this morning.

However, the last few days, my numbers have been all over the place. The FC will be at 12 at one point then at the next test will read 15 (without me adding bleach). This morning I took a full set of readings and WROTE THEM DOWN.
CYA @60
FC 15
CC .5
TA 190 (in the midst of aerating)
pH 7.2 (pretty sure that dropped when I added the CYA?)

Question 1) Where did my CYA go in the first place? Or was I just reading the test wrong several times? (Doubtful but nothing is impossible.)
Question 2) Why are my FC readings changing so weirdly? I know you can LOSE FC (duh) but for it to go UP without me adding?

I'm just going to hold in the shocking process pattern and run my filter 24/7 in hopes that it'll start clearing up - correct? Any other insights are greatly appreciated!

*EDIT: That should be BUT NOT, not and. :\ Sorry, I have no idea what I was thinking when I was typing! The FC was only dropping during the day.*facepalm*

You know you have something growing in there, failing the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) proved it.

I'm going to guess with the wet winter you just had more water displaced than you thought and the CYA was lowered, then you overcompensated a little. The 40 reading was less than a week and you measured it on the way up.

Yes, you want to conduct a full SLAM.

CYA will lower over time if you are not adding any and it should be monitored at least monthly.

Your FC testing problems could be caused from several things. Most common is not enough powder is being used to test, I use 2 big scoops when testing higher FC levels. Some other mistakes that can cause errors are not taking the water sample at the same place in the pool, not taking the sample at the proper depth, losing count of drops, etc.

Ah! I just realized I totally mistyped... That should have been BUT NOT overnight - not AND. Dang it - I should probably be more caffeinated before I type! I'll add an edit.

I always take my samples from the same spot. And I'm a bit of a control freak, so I'll go back and start over if I lose count. LOL. It's **** on the amount of reagents I use! ;)

The CYA after opening was completed was FIRMLY 40. We opened on Easter and I test that monthly. It's just weird - I've never had it drop like that since the ammonia incident.

I've had similar things going on this year....Edit:ButterflyWhat is going on the the Midwest! I got no advice as I am still fighting a very similar problem.

Honestly I think this winter did something wacky to our water! I am about ready to do a full drain and replace, but living in the country that is not so easy to do.

I will watch this thread to see if you figure it out.

Well, day two of remembering to write readings down. No real change. FC held pretty well over the 24 hours - no wild fluctuations like before.

I'm passing the overnight test but the water is still really cloudy. Things tend to settle on the bottom and it clears up a little until I brush the pool down. I guess I'm just going to let the filter keep running. Pulling the ladder out and scrubbing it separately is on my to-do list for today. Maybe I'll let it settle down for a day or two and just vacuum to waste. With my CYA higher than I'd like, a little water replacement is in order anyway!

Well, day two of remembering to write readings down. No real change. FC held pretty well over the 24 hours - no wild fluctuations like before.

I'm passing the overnight test but the water is still really cloudy. Things tend to settle on the bottom and it clears up a little until I brush the pool down. I guess I'm just going to let the filter keep running. Pulling the ladder out and scrubbing it separately is on my to-do list for today. Maybe I'll let it settle down for a day or two and just vacuum to waste. With my CYA higher than I'd like, a little water replacement is in order anyway!
Glad you are passing OCLT. Sounds like a plan, vacuum to waste - brush - keep filters clean.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.