What is Sequestrant?

Sequestrant is any of several chemicals that bind to metal ions dissolved in the water and prevent them from depositing as stains. All sequestrants break down slowly over time, so you need to add more at regular intervals to replace the portion that has broken down.

There is no point in using sequestrants day to day unless you know you have metal problems. The only time sequestrant is worth using as a general protection is when fresh plaster is applied, as metal stains on brand new plaster can never be removed.

Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.

No. Metals stay put. The only way to remove them is by replacing water and diluting it enough that it doesn't do anything.

Think of metals as chocolate. Sequestrant is the hard candy shell on an m&m. The chocolate is still in the bag, it just isn;t visible and won;t make a mess but it's still there.

OK so everyday or so I keep draining rain water from my pool, it will eventually get weaker...as the pool keeps getting full again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Yep. But very slowly. Using my own pool as an example, I know my average depth is 60". So replacing 3" of water lowers whatever Calcium, CYA, or metals are in the water by 5%.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.