Can you backwash Sand Filter too often?

EVChargeGuy

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
With all the rain we’ve been getting I’ve been going out to the pool early every AM and lowering the water level via backwash, rinse and finally waste.

I figured ‘what the he!!’ it cant hurt, but I remember someone saying that a little crud in the Filter helps it filter. PSI is steady at 15.

In May we had the sand in the filter replaced as the pool was shut down for 8 years and whatever was in the filter turned to Muck. Filter is very old Hayward “Split Egg” w/ new side mounted Multi-port. It seems to be doing a great job, as the water is crystal.

So should I just be using the waste to lower the water level?

My Pentair filter engineer friend did tell me that the most stress on a sand filter is the backwash. The turbulence occurring at the laterals can apparently cause damage. That makes sense to me and I don't backwash more than about 10 seconds after my water turns clear because of that.
I would use "waste"

Definitely use the waste setting on the multi-port valve to drain the pool (if you have a waste setting). Backwashing runs the filter backwards to clean out the debris, but new debris can get into the wrong side of the filter if you backwash too much. Then only time you should backwash is when the filter pressure has gone up 25% from the starting "clean filter" pressure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.