Newbie here! Really need simplified help! Cloudy pool.

I overslept this morning and didn't get to do the morning reading. But the reading I did just now, shows 0 CC. FC @ 17. Do I need to take the FC back up to SLAM level again today? It's been partly cloudy today. Do I just keep FC up today and retest for OCLT tomorrow morn?

The water still looks vaguely cloudy. Better, but not crystal clear. I don't know if it will ever be crystal clear? Don't know if this pump filter is adequate. My first test today showed FC at 17 (down from 25 last night). But I didn't do that test until nearly 1:00. Overslept...didn't get to bed til nearly 5:00 this morning, working last night. So, that level can't be ruled out from sun, right? The CC has dropped to 0!

So, just continue SLAM process all day today? Keep checking FC today, and keep it at that 22 level? Keep pump running? Can I turn off pump long enough to out another cartridge in? Is there any way to keep stuff from coming back into return from filter? The fine stuff?

Just keep doing what your doing. Maintain FC at 22.
Yes you can stop pump to change filter. It's going to take some time with those filters to get crystal clear. There is another thread on here with the same problem. I'll have to find it. There was a suggestion about adding some DE alternative to the cartridge filter.

Okay, so when I added the bleach at 1:30 (2 hrs ago) the FC was at 17. And I added what the pool math said to add to get it to 22. When I retested just now, FC is still at 17, but CC has remained at 0. Add more bleach to see if I can reach 22?? If it held steady after adding bleach 2 hrs ago, rather than rise, does that mean something is still using up the FC? It's a very cloudy day here. No one in pool and no bright sun.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and when I changed the cartridge out just now, it didn't look ANYwhere near as gross as it has every time I've changed it up to now. So, I'm guessing that's progress? Water is almost completely clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Shouldn't be a testing error. I've done it as I have the entire time. I'll add the bleach again and retest in two hours. One clarification. I'm getting my water to test from the opposite side of the pool from the pump and return. Is that the best place to take the sample? Or does it matter?

Okay. Now for another question. I'm doing all this work, and it's going really well, but we are leaving for the beach Friday night. We'll be gone for a week. I don't have anyone to come turn our pump on and off while we're gone. What do we do with the pool? Do we leave the pump on the entire time?? Do we leave the SWS set to come on every day as usual? We were planning to cover the pool while we're gone to keep debris out. I just don't know what to do to keep it clear while we're gone. And I wasn't sure if leaving the pump running 24/7 for a week was a good idea. I don't want to do all this work and leave with beautiful water and not be able to get back in it when we return. Particularly since school will be starting a week later.

I'm hoping this will be done by then. If it's just a matter of the water not being crystal clear, we can let the SWG take over. With pool covered you should be ok.
Did you see the link to that thread ?

Yes, I saw link. But my question is if it's okay to leave the pump running when we're gone. We have no way to put it on a timer. We have no one who could come turn it off and on everyday while we're gone. It's a manual pump. The owners manual specifically said not to hook it up to a timer. Was that strictly for GFI reasons? The SWS won't come on if the pump isn't on.

So, the warning in the owner's manual not to put it on a timer.....is that just a manufacturer c.y.a. kind of thing? We can plug it into a timer, as long as it's the outdoor kind?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.