Pump Questions

buddywiser

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2007
Morgantown, WV
I had an electrician take a look at my pump today and he said there's a good chance that the motor won't make it through the summer. It is running really hot. He put some thingamajiggy on it and said it was losing something (sorry). It's a Jacuzzi Magnum Plus about 10 years old. It looks like the HP says 2.1, but I'm not sure and couldn't find anything on the web. Anyone know? Also, would I be better off getting a whole new pump or just a new motor? I can probably get a good deal on a Hayward. Are they one of the best? Thanks :)

Okay, I think there's really nothing telling me the HP on the label. That 21 was part of another number. But going by this:

http://www.jbparts.com/jbr0003.html

I think it is a 3/4 HP. I know it is Single Phase, Energy Saver, and has 7/14 Ams Volts 115/230. That's really the only info on the label that is useful. Is a 3/4 HP okay for an 18x36 Inground? Should I buy a 1 or 1.5 HP to replace it?

You generally want the smallest pump that will get the job done. If you haven't had any problems with the flow rate then you should stick with 3/4 HP. Larger pumps draw more electricity, which costs more and they don't really have any advantages. Plus you might not have heavy enough wiring for a larger pump.

You might want to think about a two speed pump. On low speed they move half as much water and only draw one quarter as much electricity. You run them twice as long and still save almost half of your electric bill. You put them on high for vacuming or other chores that require the full flow rate (SWGs often need the higher flow). Two speed pumps seem to be more difficult to find and cost a little more, but using low speed can save a lot in the long run.

You can save money in the short run by just replacing the motor and it will be a simpler install. You need to find a very close match so that it will still work with the pump section.

It is not a good idea to change the brake HP on the motor when keeping the pump. The impeller, the part that actually moves the water, is designed for optimal efficency at a specific brake HP. If you change the brake HP it will reduce the efficency of the pump. It will mostly work, but it will waste some electricity and could cause cavitation or motor overheating.

Brake HP is the listed HP times the service factor. Motors with different listed HP can have the same brake HP if they have appropriate service factors. It is not uncommon for a single manufactuer to sell two or three motors with different listed HP that all have the same brake HP and are in fact all the same motor just with different labels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.