trying to get a poolskim

Jun 11, 2014
Fremont, CA
I looked up a ton of raving reviews about pool skim and really want to get one. However, i'm not too sure if my pool has an additional return inlet. I know there is a built in skimmer attached to my pool, is there anyway i can find out if there is an additional inlet? I moved my hands in the holes around the pool and i don't think i felt one that sucked water in. There is one hole with a cap on it, i'm not too sure what it does, would it do any harm if i opened the hole to see if it's an inlet?

A return is where the water jets return into the pool. The pool skim work on the return jets.

If you have a skimmer, why do you think you need a pool skim? Is there a weir on your skimmer?

thanks for your reply jblizzle. My skim me works most of the time, but i still see floating debris on the water, so i'm wondering if a pool skim would help with that more.

i walked around the pool and didn't feel another hold that had water going in, would it be possible that my main skimmer is the only return port?

If you do not have a floor drain, then likely your skimmer is the only SUCTION line.
The pool skim works on a RETURN line ... where the water shoots back into the pool.

Do you have a weir on your skimmer?

ah, didn't know a door would actually help with the skimming. How does it do that? wouldn't it block the debris from going in?

Also, i had a question about water level in the skimmer. The pool i inherited has a built in water level detector that would refill the pool when water level is low. But the water level almost completely covering to the top of the skimmer. Does it skim better if it's lower?

Water level should be roughly in the middle of the skimmer, sounds like your autofill needs to be adjusted.

The door makes it pull more from the surface of the water and thus skim better. It also prevents the debris from floating out when the pump turns off.

I use a PoolSkim in addition to my skimmer because our pool gets a ton of leaves, organic matter etc. given its location below a heavily landscaped terrace.

It that's the type of reason you want to use one, you only need to find a jet that is sending water into your pool. You attach the PoolSkim to the jet and it creates a Venturi effect (a funnel of sorts) that draws leaves etc into the attached netting. Very effective in my case and reduces the number of leaves that get to the bottom, making the cleaning load lighter on the robot.

But if your skimmer with a weir and proper water level does the job, no need...so find out first. I find that skimmers won't skim well with the water level too high, so that alone could be your problem :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Now that I have your attention read the words below ... I think this is the 3rd time I have said it.

The pool skim works on a RETURN jet ... that is where the water shoots INTO the pool. The skimmer is a suction line where the water LEAVES the pool.

OHHHHHHHHHHHH wow i completely misunderstood how it works and completely missed it when you said it!!!!! I actually do have an extra return jet that i might be able to use!

So i hook it onto the hole that pushes water INTO the pool!! got it!

So I just ordered a PoolSkim yesterday and the above post prompts a question. We have a 24 ft octagonal inground vinyl liner pool with only one return jet. I assumed I would just attach the PoolSkim to that jet, but previous post states looking for an "extra" return jet that he might be able to use. Does that mean I shouldn't attach to my one and only return jet?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.