I need help with conversion

Jul 27, 2008
I'm pretty sure you are all so sick of being asked the same questions, but I'm throughly confused. We started using Baquacil 2 summers ago because my son is sensitive to chlorine and it back-fired (yes yes I know you're laughing). We had so much algae in the pool and couldnt keep up with it (think the pool in "Griswold's Family Vacation"). So we're switching and forcing my poor boy to wear goggles all the time. I looked at about a thousand websites and decided to use the sodium percarbonate method. We have an 18' round above ground with a hayward xtreme 150 sq ft pump (we did have a baqua-pure, but it crapped out). I put 6lbs of the sodium percarbonate in it and became clear except for all the brown stuff at the bottom. We waited 4 days and the dropped 8lbs (4lbs one day 4lbs the next) of non-chlorine shock in after testing it (no baquacil showed up). The pool guy said to test the water in a bucket when trying the shock and it didnt turn green. Well....
its a cloudy green, it smells so much better then baquacil, but it looks horrible still. It says to wait 7 days with pump on 24/7 and then balance and add tablets. Do I still follow those rules if its still green? What do I do?

Welcome to TFP!

Feel free to ask questions. Questions are how you learn. We were all beginners at one time.

I suggest finishing up with a standard bleach/chlorine conversion. Raise the FC level to 15 a couple of times each evening until the FC level remains the same overnight. There are a number of other ways to approach it, but this one is the most straightforward and reliable (though it can be a little more work). If the sodium percarbonate did it's job, you won't need very many nights of that.

kg4ncm11,

I JUST went through the conversion this week and had SO MANY questions for these guys I though I was talking their ears off! They are SO VERY GOOD you need to trust them. They will get you through this for sure!

These guys LOVE what they do in helping people. I will pay attention to your postings here and offer my advice as I see fit. Take lots of pictures, we'd all love to see the transformation!

If you want, you can read my conversion here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.