Pool is being installed today!

Das303

Jun 3, 2014
Reno NV area
My 24 ft doughboy is being installed as I type! We received a call yesterday that the pool install date was being pushed up a couple weeks to today! It was 105 out so you can imagine how happy we are to have the pool installed sooner. I've been lurking for the past month and have purchased the TF100 and bought 7lbs of stabilizer and a couple jugs of bleach. Is there anything else I should have on hand before we start filling? And because threads are worthless without pics... here is where we are currently at in the build process.

Before:

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Sounds like you are ahead of the game :goodjob:

You could test the pH, TA and CH of your fill water to get a feel for where you are at. You may need something to adjust the pH (likely muriatic acid), but I am guessing the TA and CH will be a little high (nothing to worry about).

Other than that, get the CYA dissolving and add 2ppm of FC and :swim:

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool !!
Wow 105 !! I'm sure you can't wait to get in and swim. If temps like that stay around for awhile you'll be looking here for a DIY fountain to cool the water down.
Again, congrats and good luck ! ?

They finished the install today. It is a little less than half full and we are anxiously waiting to swim :D . Hoping to put a deck in next summer and landscape around it to give it a more finished look. The pool builders gave me a bottle of something and told me to put it in the water so it doesn't turn brown from chlorine. How can I tell if I truly need this stuff? If I add it will it have any other effects on the water?

You don't need to add anything until you test. Hang on to the "stuff" til then.

Initially, you will need CYA. Use pool math to find out how much and the handy reference to chart to see what your levels should be. After you hang the CYA sock, get some bleach in there. Again, use pool math to find out how much to use. Check your pH to make sure it's in the recommended range (if not, use .... you guessed it, pool math to adjust as recommended).

Give it about 30 min then go :swim:

- - - Updated - - -

And please forgive my horrid manners!

:flower: Welcome! You have a nice set up there and I hope you get tons of enjoyment from your new pool!

Last edited:
Looks very refreshing in the Arizona landscape!

The pool builders gave me a bottle of something and told me to put it in the water so it doesn't turn brown from chlorine. How can I tell if I truly need this stuff? If I add it will it have any other effects on the water?

Sounds like sequestrant, in case you have iron or otherwise "hard" water. Are you filling with municipal water or well water? You can perform a bucket test to see if it's necessary. Search "bucket test for metals." My well failed the test but fortunately my in-laws next door have muni water :) I took a shortcut one day and added a couple inches of my well water to "top it off." Next day, green water! My one and only trip to the pool store this year was for some sequestrant.

Thanks everyone. Pool is finishing filling and electric will be run tomorrow morning (pump can't be run until then). I will do the bucket test before adding the chemicals the pool guy gave me. We are on a large community well but the water is better than the city water so I'm not sure I will really need them. A new problem has come up though. There are 5-10 swimming water bugs in the freshly filled pool. I'm not sure if they are backswimmers or waterboatmen. Once I add all the chlorine and get everything balanced will they go away? If they bite, my 6 year old is not going to love the pool much.:shark:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Get a pole skimmer and fish them out. Unfortunately, pool water does not repel bugs and you'll have to stay on top of them yourself. As far as testing the water for metals, at this point once the chlorine goes in you'll know soon enough. Find out exactly what is in the stuff they gave you and if it's intended to deal with metals in the water. Hopefully the water won't discolor on you and you won't need it.

I'll fish them out. I was just curious if chemicals will make a difference and hopefully deter them from living in my pool. I've heard they live off algae (which I don't have since it's fresh water). I have irrigation canals right down my street so I'm assuming they have found my pool overnight.

As for the stuff they gave me, it says that it will "neutralize the metallic ions of magnesium, iron, and copper". Here is a picture of it. My husband is in the the mindset that it can't hurt and to just toss it in. I would rather check and see if we actually need it though. Sounds like the bucket test or bringing in a sample will be best. Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. This place is awesome for a newbie like myself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.