Curious and researching

Jul 15, 2014
Fayetteville NC
My bride of 37 years wants a pool. Happy wife, happy life.

So, we're looking at ABG pools (because she doesn't want to drop the coin for an inground pool) and trying to make an informed choice.

Looking in the 15-18' range. Comparing brands and trying to work out installation reality versus fantasy (soft sand yard with a drop of 14" across the diameter of a 16' pool in the area that we've tentatively ID'd for the pool site).

Welcome to TFP!

Many of the differences are in materials quality, differences that aren't always obvious and don't tend to show up in any obvious way in the first year or two. There are good arguments to be made for both the low end and the high end. A high end pool will last a long time, but a low end pool will last a while, and is likely to get replaced (upgraded or removed) after a couple of years anyway.

Welcome to TFP. I would recommend that if you have the space, not to lock in on a small pool but go as big as you can. Hardly anyone wishes for a smaller pool and mostly everyone wishes they had a bigger one. :cool

After talking to the most experienced independent pool installer locally and measuring and measuring, we ordered a 18" Doughboy Autumn Breeze. Should be in next week and installed after that.
There are a few things you need to do in the interval
1) Order up a test kit. You're starting fresh. Wouldn't you like to be the crusty old man who brags, "I've had my pool seventeen years and I've never seen a speck of algae in it."
2) Start shopping for those little things that add up fast: pole, brush, leaf skimmer, thermometer, floating pool lounge...
3) Take lots of pictures. You might as well open up an account somewhere so you can post them all. Tutorial.