Newbie looking to be pointed in correct direction for opening my new pool!

I have been digging through the forums and I am hoping to be pointed in the correct direction for when I open my new pool. I found the testing kit and that is being ordered. Now do I return all the chemicals I bought and replace with bleach, baking soda, borax, and what else? And how much? I am trying to figure out what I need to open...any advice? Do you initially use the standard chlorine shocking kit or do you go with bleach from the beginning? I just want to know what I need from the beginning and the resources you use for maintaining after testing? The pool may be used every other day by 2 people and I plan to run it all year. Also looking for advice on heaters for small pools-what have you used and been impressed with. I am not sure if I should do sand or de filtering or if this pump will need to be better either? What do you use and why? Thanks so much...totally appreciate everyone's help.

Welcome to TFP!

You won't know what you need other than a source of chlorine until you test the water. TFPC is all about knowing what adjustments need to be made to your water and understanding all of the effects of adding chemicals. "Shock" can be just bleach, it can contain stabilizer (CYA) and it can contain calcium. One isn't better than the other, but if your CYA or calcium is low, you may want to choose something that will add that, and if your CYA or calcium is high, you want to avoid products that add that as well.

Thanks for the welcome and your reply.

Welcome to TFP!

You won't know what you need other than a source of chlorine until you test the water. TFPC is all about knowing what adjustments need to be made to your water and understanding all of the effects of adding chemicals. "Shock" can be just bleach, it can contain stabilizer (CYA) and it can contain calcium. One isn't better than the other, but if your CYA or calcium is low, you may want to choose something that will add that, and if your CYA or calcium is high, you want to avoid products that add that as well.

Welcome! :wave:

Test results will tell you what is useful and what isn't. We're not down on powdered forms of chlorine; we're just down on using them blindly. If you have room for the Calcium Hardness side effect, and you already own a bucket of Cal-hypo, you'd be a fool not to use it up. Likewise with dry acid and overpriced alkalinity increaser. The damage to your wallet is already done; you might as well salvage as much as you can.

Play with the search box to find answers to your equipment questions. The advanced search can really narrow things down, too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.