Waste basket near pump

That is the filter (looks like a Hayward DE filter) and you need to backwash and recharge it with DE when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. If this setup is new to you, I would suggest backwashing and then following the DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial to inspect it and make sure it is in good shape.

Please add your pool details to your signature and as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

That is the filter (looks like a Hayward DE filter) and you need to backwash and recharge it with DE when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. If this setup is new to you, I would suggest backwashing and then following the DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial to inspect it and make sure it is in good shape.

Please add your pool details to your signature and as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

Yes it is new to me. Regarding the question about the waste basket near the pump, all I need to do is to make sure my pump is off when I clean the basket right?

Oh, I thought you had already done it.

Assuming the pump is above the water level, you just turn off the pump and open up the lid, clean the basket out and put it back in, lube the lid o-ring, put the lid back on, and turn on the pump. It should refill with water and prime in less than a few minutes. If not, turn the pump off and time to troubleshoot.

Actually then you should also open the air valve by the gauge on the filter to let the air out of the system and then close it when water shoots out.

Oh, I thought you had already done it.

Assuming the pump is above the water level, you just turn off the pump and open up the lid, clean the basket out and put it back in, lube the lid o-ring, put the lid back on, and turn on the pump. It should refill with water and prime in less than a few minutes. If not, turn the pump off and time to troubleshoot.

Actually then you should also open the air valve by the gauge on the filter to let the air out of the system and then close it when water shoots out.

That is why I asked. I noticed that when it runs its about 15 PSI without the vacuum hook up to the skimmer., but it was only 5 PSI after I cleaned the basket and hooked up the PoolCleaner. I thought the PoolCleaner caused it to lose the pressure.

So tonight, I will open the the air valve by the gauge on the filter (until water shoots out) while the pump is running?

Thanks so much.

TT

Yes, while the pump is running.

The added resistance of the suction cleaner will lower the flow rate and also the pressure reading. But it should not lower it that much.

One more questions since where on this topic. I noticed the waste basket has a broken area on the top (the lip area about 2 inches). The waste basket also has a second lip (for added security) a few inches from the top one which is fine. I measured the basket top circle to be 6" and the height of the basket almost 7.5" inches. In terms of getting a new waste basket, anything close to the measurement should be fine?

Also, when you mentioned lube the lid o-ring, what do you use to lube it?

You have to buy the exact basket that is used for you pump.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

Post up pictures if you can not identify the equipment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had to replace my pump strainer basket last year. We need to know what the make and model of your pump is. For example, Mine is a pentair whisperflow. I had to do a lot of research online to find it. Like you've been previously suggested, post all your equipment details in your sig- and a couple pictures wouldn't hurt either, particularly of the pump including the label if you can get it.

One more questions since where on this topic. I noticed the waste basket has a broken area on the top (the lip area about 2 inches). The waste basket also has a second lip (for added security) a few inches from the top one which is fine. I measured the basket top circle to be 6" and the height of the basket almost 7.5" inches. In terms of getting a new waste basket, anything close to the measurement should be fine?

Also, when you mentioned lube the lid o-ring, what do you use to lube it?
I just purchased a 2 pack of magic lube II(silicon) from amazon it was just under $20 Received it in two days!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.