New pool decisions help.

Jul 15, 2014
Pelzer, SC
We have finally to take the plunge get started on a pool build at the house. After visiting several builders in the area I believe we have decided on who to use. I'm trying now to understand just where I need to go with pump/filter decision. My goal is to build a fairly efficient pool as I think the long term savings will overweigh the cost of intial purchases. My builder uses Pentair products and is suggesting a D.E filter. They are suggesting the System 3 DE and indicate it would save $40-60/month on my electric bill over a sand filter since it will not run the amount of time each day. I've been reading spec sheets, forums and reviews till I can't see any more almost. I could really use some advice to make a educated decision on the pump/filter combo.

1) Is the System 3 a good choice or is there a better. ie Quad DE./Will it really save on the power bill to go DE.
2) With a DE system is a VS pump recommended or is that over kill with the reduced filter time. If I'm only running the pumps at night for 6-8 hours is there really any effective savings in the VS pump compared to it's initial price.

Will probably be installing a Easy Touch system with Salt system as well.
Any help would be really appreciated. This is a large undertaking to try and get all the information absobed.

Pool 32x16 Vinyl over Concrete/Foam walls.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I have never heard where one type of filter will save money over the other due to pump run time ... that is bogus IMO and no way will equate to $40-60/mo savings. The filter really has no impact on the pump run time.

You just want a big filter (post pool volume and we can offer suggestions) and a small 2-speed pump (if you do not have high water flow needs). Or if your power costs are high or you have variable flow rate needs, then a VS pump might be a good option.

There are some not good reviews of the System 3 cartridge filters, but I am not sure about the DE version.

Thanks. The pool is going to be around 18-19k volume. Their thought is that that better filtering will allow me to not need to run the pumps as much and in return save money. I'm wondering if I would get about the same saving out of a VS pump and Sand Filter as I would a 2 speed and DE.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. The pool is going to be around 18-19k volume. Their thought is that that better filtering will allow me to not need to run the pumps as much and in return save money. I'm wondering if I would get about the same saving out of a VS pump and Sand Filter as I would a 2 speed and DE.

As a note I also have a 80 Lab that loves to swim and will probably be hard to keep out of the water. Not sure if that would have a impact on filter choice.

For that size pool, I would recommend a 275 sqft cartridge filter, 25" diameter sand filter, or 60sqft DE filter ... although larger does not hurt anything. Any will work just fine: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/160-pool-filter-comparison

Unless the VS pump is only slightly more expensive, I would stick with a small 2-speed pump regardless of the filter type (unless you have a spa or large water feature).

With a dog swimming, usually a good idea to use skimmer socks to prevent the hair from even getting to the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.