Generic Test Kits

Jul 8, 2014
East Coast
Are generic test kits worth using? How do they compare to a Taylor? I found some generic OTO's on eBay, and Walmart has an AquaChem one. I'm wondering how much these vary from Taylor. I personally am more of a name brand guy, but I'm curious how these compare.

Thanks!

The pH works OK, but the chlorine test is limited. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential and is included in the TF-100/Taylor K2006

Oops, I asked it incorrectly. What I meant was how do the generic OTO's compare to the Taylor OTO's? Speaking of the TF-100, I've been a little confused about that. The "test kits compared" chart shows the TF-100 having more tests than the K-2006, but yet the K-2006 has more bottles of reagents. How?

Well, for one the K2006 has 2 tiny bottles of the CYA reagent while the TF-100 has one large one. The K-2006 includes the pH demand tests which are rarely needed and not part of the TF-100. I am not sure where you find that the K2006 has more bottles than the TF100 though :scratch:

No idea how the generic OTO compares to the Taylor.

2mxe4ad.jpg
vs.
6zxxz5.jpg

I was not aware of the larger CYA bottle and the missing pH demand in the TF-100. I see it now. So are all of the TF-100 reagents/FAS/other CYA stuff made by Taylor?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As a second year pool owner I found another plus for using the TF-100 is that it is very easy and affordable to order additional any test kit items to replace that which you use up or lose. in my case I chose the "complete refill set for TF-100" to be the right way to go at the start of the new season. Could not be happier.

I'm a new pool owner and have successfully opened my pool for the first time this year using the vast amounts of knowledge and helpful people from this site and my mutt of a pool testing kit:

Admittedly, I had purchased the HTH kit from Walmart before understanding the importance of the FAS/DPD test.
14054472068950.jpg

My test kit has some HTH reagents but the HEART of my kit is the FAS/DPD and CYA test reagents I purchased from TFTestkits.net. I can honestly say the FAS/DPD test is the single most important test for my pool. It's the most frequent test that I do. I also ordered the CYA reagent from TFTestkits.net after I depleted what was included with the HTH kit (only enough for 2-3 tests). I will probably stick with what I have for the remainder of this pool season, but come next year, I'll most likely buy a TF-100 refill kit to start the new swim season with fresh chemistry.

I have to say the Speedstir makes testing a LOT faster and more fun. :lovetfp:

The reagents in various brands of OTO tests are all about the same, not the same but the differences are just not that big. However the color standards vary quite a bit. None of them, including the Taylor one are all that great, but the Taylor is the best and by a large margin in some cases.

The PH tests vary rather more between brands. Again the color references vary quite a bit, but with PH the high FC level compensation also varies significantly, with some of the off brands being unable to measure PH when FC is as low as 5.

I would like to make a plug for the Acid Demand and Base Demand tests in the K-2006. I actually find them quite useful in determining the correct amount of acid to add to the water to raise or lower the pH.

One reason why is that I am partially red-green color blind (only slightly) so I use the acid demand drops to confirm the color that I think I see. I add a drop and if I see the color go down to a lighter shade below it on the scale, then I know I have it right.

I'm also so used to cross referencing acid demand drop count to MA additions, that I feel it's faster for me than using PoolMath.

To each his own though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI, I do not think the demand tests work well if your TA is "out of the norm"; while PoolMath takes the TA into effect in its calculations.
Or maybe I do not remember correctly and am making this up :suspect:

That said, I have added the acid demand reagent to my TF-100 as it certainly allows you to get a better feel for the different possible colors, even if you do not use it for the MA calcs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.