Ideal shock level?

Sep 8, 2007
I have been trying to figure out the ideal shock level to bring CC down from 0.5 to 0.0.

I referenced a number of forum posts and this chart: http://www.troublefreepool.com/category/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

My CYA is between 40 and 60.

Am I right in reading that it is recommended for me to shock to 20 ppm or more?

Does this also mean that I need to run my FC between 3 and 5 ppm steadily?

Ideally, I would like to run my pool around 1 ppm FC/TC.

How high you need to run your FC is dependant on your CYA level. CYA 'deactivates' chlorine, so to speak, and to achieve the same workable concentration at higher CYA levels you need to maintain higher FC levels. Why do you want to run your FC at 1 ppm? That is below the recommeneded levels for maintainng sanitized water at normal CYA levels in an outdoor pool.

If you are consistently getting a CC level of 0.5 it might be because your not putting in the extra drop to completely turn the water sample a true clear.

With your CYA level and according to the chart you never want to have your FC below 3 or 4 ppm and your target FC which is where you should try to be is 6 or 7 ppm. FC at 1 ppm is below the level for maintaining sanitized water at normal CYA levels in an outdoor pool and if you look at the chart the lowest recommended level is 2 with a CYA of 20.

If you dont already have one, I suggest purchasing a reliable test kit and doing you own water testing ? That way you wont have to go to your PS and listen to their bad advice any more.
There is a very reliable test kit available at this pool forum and a link is located in my signature.

Thanks. I have the test kit and just retested.

I think I shocked to about 12 ppm. I was away yesterday so I cannot know for sure.

This morning my FC/TC are at 10 ppm with 0 CC.

Does this mean I shocked enough?

Now, how do I drop my FC to 5 in a reasonable period of time? I use a solar cover to keep the heat in, but I suspect it also keeps the chlorine in.

=)

Great advice Tiz! :mrgreen: I concur....avoid Pool Stealers unless absolutely necessary....hehehehe

Leave the cover off for a day and it'll drop, the cover does protect it from the UV rays too.

It's okay to swim with a FC of 10. Won't hurt anything.

Happy swimming!

You'll find that even though you have to run the TC at a level that seems to be high, you won't really smell a "chlorine" smell, and the chlorine demand is reasonable. That's because properly balanced water doesn't get chloramines, which is what the "chlorine" smell is, and the CYA keeps the chlorine from getting burned off too quickly. A solar cover also keeps the chlorine demand down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your pool is still green you need to continue shocking the water until you have a FC chlorine loss of less than 1 ppm overnight. Its very important you keep brushing your pool every day once or twice and keep your filter clean.

If your able to we love to see pictures of swamp transitions!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.