Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ideal shock level?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ideal shock level?

I have been trying to figure out the ideal shock level to bring CC down from 0.5 to 0.0.

I referenced a number of forum posts and this chart: http://www.troublefreepool.com/categ...ya_chart_shock

My CYA is between 40 and 60.

Am I right in reading that it is recommended for me to shock to 20 ppm or more?

Does this also mean that I need to run my FC between 3 and 5 ppm steadily?

Ideally, I would like to run my pool around 1 ppm FC/TC.
    Jake

24' Round Vinyl-lined AG, 14K Gal., Hayward Xstream 1500 Cartridge filter w/ powerflow Matrix pump, Hayward H200 Heater, plus one ribbit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ideal shock level?

How high you need to run your FC is dependant on your CYA level. CYA 'deactivates' chlorine, so to speak, and to achieve the same workable concentration at higher CYA levels you need to maintain higher FC levels. Why do you want to run your FC at 1 ppm? That is below the recommeneded levels for maintainng sanitized water at normal CYA levels in an outdoor pool.

3. Back To Top    #3

If you are consistently getting a CC level of 0.5 it might be because your not putting in the extra drop to completely turn the water sample a true clear.

With your CYA level and according to the chart you never want to have your FC below 3 or 4 ppm and your target FC which is where you should try to be is 6 or 7 ppm. FC at 1 ppm is below the level for maintaining sanitized water at normal CYA levels in an outdoor pool and if you look at the chart the lowest recommended level is 2 with a CYA of 20.
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

4. Back To Top    #4

OK. Thanks.

I thought I could run FC a lot lower.

More bad advice from my pool store =(
    Jake

24' Round Vinyl-lined AG, 14K Gal., Hayward Xstream 1500 Cartridge filter w/ powerflow Matrix pump, Hayward H200 Heater, plus one ribbit

5. Back To Top    #5

If you dont already have one, I suggest purchasing a reliable test kit and doing you own water testing ? That way you wont have to go to your PS and listen to their bad advice any more.
    There is a very reliable test kit available at this pool forum and a link is located in my signature.
    Les
    Helpful Links:
    Doing BBB and loving it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks. I have the test kit and just retested.

I think I shocked to about 12 ppm. I was away yesterday so I cannot know for sure.

This morning my FC/TC are at 10 ppm with 0 CC.

Does this mean I shocked enough?

Now, how do I drop my FC to 5 in a reasonable period of time? I use a solar cover to keep the heat in, but I suspect it also keeps the chlorine in.

=)
    Jake

7. Back To Top    #7

Great advice Tiz! I concur....avoid Pool Stealers unless absolutely necessary....hehehehe

Leave the cover off for a day and it'll drop, the cover does protect it from the UV rays too.

It's okay to swim with a FC of 10. Won't hurt anything.

Happy swimming!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks, but why does my basic TC test kit only go to 5 ppm? I use the one supplied with the TF-100 for everyday testing.
    Jake

9. Back To Top    #9

That's just the nature of the OTO test. To test higher than 5ppm, use the FAS-DPD test, the one with the powder.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

10. Back To Top    #10

You'll find that even though you have to run the TC at a level that seems to be high, you won't really smell a "chlorine" smell, and the chlorine demand is reasonable. That's because properly balanced water doesn't get chloramines, which is what the "chlorine" smell is, and the CYA keeps the chlorine from getting burned off too quickly. A solar cover also keeps the chlorine demand down.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

If your pool is still green you need to continue shocking the water until you have a FC chlorine loss of less than 1 ppm overnight. Its very important you keep brushing your pool every day once or twice and keep your filter clean.

If your able to we love to see pictures of swamp transitions!
    Les
    Helpful Links:
    Doing BBB and loving it!