TFPC lightened liner--how to prevent with new liner...??

Jun 7, 2013
We were new to the TFPC methold last year--and got our dark green pool back to sparkling new! We loved it. However toward the end of the season, the old liner developed holes after someone-who's-name-will-go-unmentioned, too aggressively scrubbed it with a stiff brush. We finally have gotten the new liner in, and will be installing over the next few days. We noticed the old liner was really lightened after using the TFPC method last year. Was this because we had to use so much bleach initially to overcome the algae? Will our new liner (which is a dark blue) lighten also, if we start off doing everything correctly?

Our pool is an above ground, 28' round, with a 7' well in the center. The liner (both old and new) is a doughboy 25 mil, expandable. This liner cost over $1,200. I feel like we learned our lessons with the first one, which lasted 5 years. I'd like the new one to last much longer, and really don't like the looks of a bleached out liner. Should we start off and maintain with the TFPC method? Or should we do the salt method? I'm OK with the salt--but would rather just stick with the bleach if it won't ruin the look of the liner.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Anna
P.S. I did try searching for an answer to this question, but didn't see one. The liner is going in today, and I feel rushed to find out what to do.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Liners are lightened when your chemistry is not correct. If you followed the SLAM process correctly, the FC would not have been high enough to damage the liner .... the process was designed to prevent damage, unlike the methods that pool stores often recommend. Are you sure it was not lightened prior to learning our methods?

The TFPC method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you and not specifically having to use certain chemicals.

You can use a SWG or bleach and still follow the TFPC methodology.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I deleted your other thread ... please do not double post.

No, I am not sure that the liner wasn't already lightened. I'm sure you are correct. That's what I wanted to hear!! I do admit that last year, I purposely kept the chlorine levels higher than suggested just because I had developed such a hate for the algae. I realize that was wrong, and damaging to the liner. So now I'm thinking we'll do the bleach.

I would still love to hear of any testimonials of people who have done it correctly for several years using bleach, and not had any fading of the liner.

My SIL weekly dumps large quantities of "shock" in her pool, and I've noticed her liner is already about 3 shades lighter than when they got it. (2years ago)Not to mention my kids' swim trunks smell strongly of chlorine, even after washing when they've been in her pool. I have checked my suit, (haven't been in her's this year) and can't smell any bleachy smell.
Not sure if the darker liners just fade faster, or if it's the blind dumping of large quantities of shock treatment.

I have an Intex, and there is not much fading on my pool after 2 1/2 years of TFP method. Perhaps a bit, that could be attributed to the sun.

PAGirl--you bring up something I hadn't thought about. Prior to using the TFPC method last year, my swim suits would always fade horribly--so I would only wear cheap ones in our pool. We used the 'shock' treatment weekly, back then. So that validates Jason's comment. I'm feeling better all the time. Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.