Cloudy water issue?

I don't always test my CC's. I check FC level more often than CC. I test for CC's once or twice a week. When you have CC's the chlorine is working on something in the water. If you always keep FC in range for your CYA level you'll be good.
CC of 0.5-0 is good. CC of one or more needs to be addressed.

20 -22 will be fine. That's the level that will kill algae. Bring it up with bleach. In the beginning your FC will drop somewhat fast. So test in one hour and bring it back up to at least 20. The longer you can maintain FC of 20 the quicker the process goes. Run pump 24/7 and back wash filter when pressure raises 20-25% above your clean pressure.

so my FC has to be 20?

Pwrstrk gave good advise about going one or two over the 20 and testing often. You need to test often at first (hourly) and then as the algae is killed off you will notice you are adding less and less bleach to hold that 20-22 FC level and you can start to test every two hours, four hours ...
You can test as little as twice a day but the more often that FC drops too far below 20ppm the longer and more costly (more bleach needed) your SLAM will be. The more you work at it and pay attention to it the faster it clears up and you are done.

With a CYA level of 50 your SLAM or shock level is 20. YOU need to check the table in Pool School and read and understand SLAM for this to work.
Pool School, table of contents, Chlorine/CYA chart. The table --> http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

The other thing to look at on that Chlorine/CYA table is target and minimum. Minimum is just that. For what ever level of CYA you have there is a minimum which if you let your pool get below that minimum you might end up back here with a problem with algae or have unseen bacteria/germs. BUT it's a minimum and you should try to keep it at the "target" level to keep it sparkly clear and sanitized so bacteria and algae don't have a chance to survive.

As you backwash and have evaporation and then add water to keep the proper level in the skimmer you will over time slowly lose some stabilizer. Testing it (CYA) isn't needed that often but you have to remember if it does change then that daily "Target FC" and the Minimum FC will change also. Same if you add stabilizer you need to adjust the target and minimum up too. That's why understanding that Chlorine/CYA chart is important.

Good Morning.

Just wanted to check in....I worked hourly on this pool yesterday to keep the FC at 22 and for most part the process was simple thanks to the help from all of you. This morning my pool looks clearer, no algae can be seen this is great progress :) MY FC remained stable all night at 22 and my CC is 0.5 now does this mean I am done with the slam process. At what point should I check my other chemicals? When will the FC come back down to swim levels?

As long as you pass all three criteria your done. Your water crystal clear ?
Just let the FC drift down on its own.
Don't bother checking PH until your FC is below 10.
Good job !! Got some pic's ? ?

whew thank god what do you suggest I keep my FC at so this doesn't happen again. I have a lot of trees and I think the algae started growing behind the ladder. We have one of those step kind that is bolted to the deck. I vac often but guess that didn't really help.

do I wait till it drifts down to adjust the CYA, PH, TA again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My husbands only job for the pool is to brush the sides AND behind the ladder! I do the chemicals and vacuum the bottom.

He got lazy with it last summer. How do I know? My numbers were off. I asked if he had done his job and he kind of nodded. I had him come out to the pool with me and I brushed behind the ladder and POOF went a yellow cloud! He now brushes the side and behind the ladder like he should.

SO all of that to say that vacuuming is not enough. You have to brush every where at least every other day. At least that is what works for us. As we all know no two pools are the same.

Great job in clearing up your pool!

Kim

whew thank god what do you suggest I keep my FC at so this doesn't happen again.

With a CYA level of 50 your SLAM or shock level is 20. YOU need to check the table in Pool School and read and understand SLAM for this to work.
Pool School, table of contents, Chlorine/CYA chart. The table --> http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock

The other thing to look at on that Chlorine/CYA table is target and minimum. Minimum is just that. For what ever level of CYA you have there is a minimum which if you let your pool get below that minimum you might end up back here with a problem with algae or have unseen bacteria/germs. BUT it's a minimum and you should try to keep it at the "target" level to keep it sparkly clear and sanitized so bacteria and algae don't have a chance to survive.

Thanks Kim, I do the sides often because of these trees this ladder is so hard to get behind and with hubby traveling so much I cant even take it out of the pool myself to get behind it I am hoping keeping FC up higher then I was helps. I didn't have a problem till a storm rolled in and dumped a bunch of leaves and twigs in the pool and I think by time we realized the ladder issue it was too late! Lesson learned the hard way wont happen again that is for sure especially since I am the only person here to take care of it

So FC today is down to 15 and I am seeing Algae on bottom is this normal or do I continue with slam process

- - - Updated - - -

The rest of the pool looks like this 1511419_10204260528744103_1335627651101587876_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Even tho the slam process went well and met all 3 criteria is it normal for it to go backwards like this?

Attachments

• 10403640_10204260528904107_376011146016024583_n.jpg
    10403640_10204260528904107_376011146016024583_n.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 36
A little hard to tell from the pic. Is it brown or green. It looks brown to me. If it's brown I'm going to say its dead algae. If you get in the pool touch it with your foot and if it puff's up and disappears it's dead algae. Vacuum it up.
If it's green algae repeat SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.