[Subject edited by SeanB - TFP does not have a test kit]

I need help.

FC=6
CC=0
TC=6
T/A=30
CYA=75
pH=6.8

The water is murky/greenish and I have a sand filter (48,000 gal pool). Have been running filter non-stop for a week and it has not gotten any better!!!

HELP PLEASE.

Re: TFP Test Kit Results

Welcome to TFP!

With what your describing it sounds like you have algae but you have a CC of 0. What is your pool made of vinyl, fiberglass, gunite? PH is a little low it should be between 7.4 - 7.8, so try turning one of your return jets upwards some so it breaks the water surface and causes aeration until it reaches between 7.4 -7.8. Your TA is low as well it should be between 70-110. Also your CYA is a little on the high side it should be between 30-50 and the only way to reduce that is to drain some water and replace it. But we need to get your water cleared up first.

I would try shocking your pool to 28 ppm and see if you have any FC loss during the night. Your target FC for a CYA of 75 should be 8 with a min of 5 ppm. Keep shocking your pool until you have no FC loss during the night and brush the pool good and keep your filter cleaned. Keep shocking your pool for several days and it should get better.

If you do some reading in our pool school section of the forum (see the link in my signature) there is all kinds of info that will help you with keeping your pool crystal clear.

It would also be helpful to add you pool info to your signature.

Hi there,

We need to know what kind of pool you have (plaster, vinyl, etc.), and your equipment, as the recommended levels vary depending on your pool type. For instance, do you have an SWG?

In my honest opinion, IF the CYA is really 75, I think it makes more sense to do a partial drain and refill of the pool water FIRST, to lower the CYA down to 50 or so. I don't think it makes sense to pour in gallons and gallons of bleach when you'll end up draining some of your pool water.....it will be easier to kill the algae with the CYA lower and you'll use less bleach in the process.

Are you confident in the CYA number? There is a trick about doing the test, in Pool School, here's the relevant part...

"Murky water will cause the standard turbidity test (fill till the black dot disappears) to read higher than what is actually there. You can partially compensate for this by filtering the water sample through a coffee filter before testing."

Read all about Defeating Algae in Pool School, and then read http://www.troublefreepool.com/turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparking-oasis-t4147.html

Your PH is too low, as is your TA. I would raise your TA with Baking Soda and re-test both, and then you can make adjustments to your PH thru aeration. Use the Pool Calculator for your dosing recommendations.

Keep running the filter 24/7 and brushing frequently. IF you follow the directions in the article your algae should clear, we're here to help if you have any other questions!

Welcome! :wave:

Are there pucks in the inline chlorinator? IF so, I would remove them and stick to liquid chlorine. The pucks add CYA to your pool and lower your PH, because they are acidic.

In line chlorinators can be useful, for limited circumstances. With your particular situation it's best not to use it right now.

With a vinyl, non-swg pool see the recommended levels article in Pool School.

First, get your TA up to at least 60 with baking soda. Then check the PH again and adjust it if needed to be between 7.2 and 7.6. Low PH can damage the liner.

Then you need to shock the pool. With a CYA of 75, shock level is around a FC of 21.

mccullough97 said:
How do I adequately shock my pool? Several gallons of liquid bleach????

Is there a mild cleaning agent I can use to scrub the liner of my pool with the brush to remove the algae?

First, confirm your CYA test, re-test using the filter method I described above. IF your CYA is really 75, then your shock level is more like 27 or 28 ppm according to both cya charts.... then use the Pool Calculator for dosing, with your pool, at 48K gallons, that's a lot of bleach, about 16 gallons of the 6% Clorox kind, or almost 8 gallons of the 12.5% pool store version "liquid chlorine" or "liquid shock"...depending on what's easily available and what you can carry.

Hopefully your CYA is lower than that and you can get buy with less chlorine. You really should lower it to a more manageable number, in my opinion, if it is 75.

Hope this helps. The links to the cya chart and the pool calculator are in my signature.

As for brushing, just using your pool brush on a pool while shocking should do the trick for green algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.