Sutton, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
This thread had been quite for a while, but it looks like the right place to ask my question.

No, it wasn't. Please ask questions in your own topic, rather than hijacking someone else's existing topic. JasonLion

I have an EasyTouch, IC40 and IntelliFlo VF. I'm looking at the IntelliChem. I noticed that almost all the replies to this topic are using acid instead of CO2. What is the reason? Is the acid better with an SWG or is it the cost?

I noticed that the Pentair 521356 IntelliChem with 1 pump and 1 acid container go for about $1000, while the Pentair 521357 IntelliChem with no pump or container goes for about $900 and the Pentair 714000070 CO2 goes for about $500, for a total of $1400. Or are my assumptions wrong?

I don't recommend the IntelliChem. ORP based automation is not reliable for residential use and tends to lead to problems. Most people don't need PH automation, but if you do you should look at the IntelliPH instead.

CO2 ends up being more expensive in the long run and also tends to drive up the TA. Plus getting CO2 tanks delivered can be annoying.

Hi Jason,

I'm sorry I may have violated the rules. I've found this forum to be quite helpful, and had no intention of causing problems. I though it was a related question, and thus appropriate. Again, I apologize.

However, I must say your response was quite aggressive to an unintended violation. Maybe it would be better to look elsewhere for assistance in the future.

Thanks for the help in the past.

Good luck to all of you.

I've seen the same statements made on other threads regarding the IntelliChem and I'm curious why you feel it is not reliable for residential use. From what I can gather, many of the problems associated with ORP based automation are a result of CYA levels greater than 40. I can understand why this might present a problem for someone who chlorinates their pool with a SWG. Suppose you tried to maintain a CYA level of 30 and used the IntelliChem as a liquid chlorine & acid dosing automation system. Would you still feel the same way about the IntelliChem and ORP based automation?

Edited for politeness, jblizzle

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen the same statements made on other threads regarding the IntelliChem and I'm curious why you feel it is not reliable for residential use. From what I can gather, many of the problems associated with ORP based automation are a result of CYA levels greater than 40. I can understand why this might present a problem for someone who chlorinates their pool with a SWG. Suppose you tried to maintain a CYA level of 30 and used the IntelliChem as a liquid chlorine & acid dosing automation system. Would you still feel the same way about the IntelliChem and ORP based automation?

Yes, I saw similar discussion concerning what I thought were residential pools, which is why I felt my original question was relevant to that topic.

Edited for politeness, jblizzle

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I saw similar discussion concerning what I thought were residential pools, which is why I felt my original question was relevant to that topic.

Ignore the canned responses. Most people have little to no real world experience with the products they bash. I have an intellichem for home use and love it. However, I use with a salt cell, so I have disabled the ORP functionality as I feel this works better for my use case.

caught this post while looking to update my older post on intellichem and pool automation. This is my third season with intellichem and it has been great. I use muriatic acid (2 gallons water 1 gallon acid) because it is easy and inexpensive to get. I use the Pentair acid container because it is set up to puncture the acid cap inside the drum. Please remember to use appropriate caution.

Some of the moderators do not like the intellichem for residential. It takes some set up thinking and experience without question. It takes some experimenting to find the best orp level for your pool.

That said, once set up this year at least for me it was awesome. I added some salt at start up( and a bit 3 months later), a gallon of chlorox (BBB) a little bit of cya (better lower with intellichem) and a bit of borax ( I like the way it feels and i think it helps as a second buffer).

I have had to learn "Intellichem" but conversely it has helped me learn a lot about my pool as well. BBB has been invaluable as well. If you have questions please contact me and I hope you don't leave the forum. It has been invaluable and saved me a fortune in pool maintenance. Best wishes.

Why are we dredging up a year old post again?

There is nothing wrong with the Intellichem's pH control, it is the ORP control that is not as reliable, especially when coupled with a SWG and higher CYA levels.
But I do object to your statement that is has "saved a fortune in pool maintenance" Your pool requires the same amount of chlorine or acid whether you automate the system or not. As such the chemical costs should be basically the same. All the system does is reduce your labor at the cost of buying the automation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.