Pipe Rat's Concrete Block pool build.....

Jun 1, 2014
St Louis, MO
Hey everyone since this is my first post let me introduce myself. My name is Doug and I am from the St. Louis Missouri area. I have done alot of reading on here and decided to tackle building my own pool. I have the slab poured and the first 3 courses stacked up. It's (past) time to get my plumbing fittings ordered and I am looking for input on skimmers, returns, lights and a wall drain that works well with block construction. I understand that I may just have to make them fit but there may be some that are easier than others. Any input appreciated.

This will be a vinyl liner 19x28 with a 54" water depth throughout. Vertical rebar every other course, all cores filled with concrete and bond beam at the top of the wall. All rebar also to be bonded.

Plumbing placement advice needed as well.

Attached is a proposed plumbing layout for your critique as I am winging it here. LOL

Also do you think 2 lights are enough? Planning on going LED. Sorry so long on the first post. Thanks for any advice given and thanks for looking.

View attachment Pool Plumbing.pdf

IMG_1256 (Medium).jpg
IMG_1250 (Medium).jpg

Re: Another DIY Concrete Block pool build.....

All I can say is put the skimmer at the extreme downwind end, no matter how long a pipe run that means. Otherwise the slightest breeze will send everything right past the skimmer to the downwind end where it waterlogs and sinks so you can vacuum it out.

Two LED lights in this size pool will be very nice. The shallower depth also helps to brighten up the impact of the lights.

I'm not sure if he did it for this reason but my skimmers are directly above my lights. Since bugs are attracted to the lights, they go very quickly to never never land. Remember to face your lights away from your house. I wanted my skimmers facing away from my house as i don't like looking into them. The downwind theory is likely sound for skimmers. Our wind varies but our flow straight across the pool towards the skimmers works pretty efficiently.

Good luck! You are off to a great start.

Thanks Richard.
Hmmmm........was going to add a few more pics but the webpage is saying Iv'e use 210kb out of 250 allowed. Iv'e only posted one pdf and two resized pictures.
How do I post more pic's?
Don't ya hate noobs? LOL

Edit: I just looked at the price of LED lighting, I'm thinking one light will have to do. LOL

You are doing so much better than I did. There will be days when you will quit @ 2:00PM and open a cold one and wonder why you ever started.

Simply look back at how far you have come.

Your work looks really nice and we will all follow your progress and be interested in every pic you can share.

Keep pluggin' We're rooting for you.

Looks awesome, keep up the good work!

Because I'm a first-time pool builder/owner, I chose to stick with most items from a single vendor. I chose Hayward for my pump, filter, skimmer, returns and bottom drain equipment. Shopped online and got what I thought were pretty good prices on everything.

Getting ready for the weekend blitz. I made a couple boxes to load and set my sand and gravel in the hole where my mixer and cement are. I am probably over doing the steel but you have two amatuer camps. One doesn't put enough and the other puts too much simply because we don't know the standard. I lean to the overbuilt camp. I'm going to grout my first 3 courses and stack more where I can and grout more. Weather is gonna be nice. I still haven't got my plumbing parts for the walls so that may hinder some things but certainly have plenty to do if i think about it clearly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Keep the faith, PR. I have pretty much sworn never to reveal exactly how much time mine took to build but you are still way ahead of me.

Just keep saying, "I'm further along than I was last week."

We all love pics.

We are moving along again. Weather and busy at work delays, etc. Poured the concrete decking Saturday, pics to follow. Added a bathroom building, extra plumbing and conduits for future use. Plans include cutting a french door into the master bedroom with a deck. Stay tuned.

Hey, it's looking great! I'm so impressed that no matter the job or weather, you keep getting back to it. That takes determination!

When you get a chance, add the details of your pool build to your signature. That helps this lazy old lady from having to look for them when I've forgotten them. Thanks and take care! Suz.

Thanks for looking. Sorry these pics are not in chronological order. The concrete is poured and we are full steam ahead, at least as much as my energy allows. LOL It is tons of work DIY for the majority of the work but I enjoy it and get a certain amount of satisfaction building things myself. Enjoy.

Well, I am thoroughly enjoying reading about your build
and all the great pictures! Don't worry about the order.

It's amazing to me how anyone can build their own pool! I can only imagine the satisfaction you get from doing it yourself! Thanks so much for sharing your work with us. Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.