Pool Heater Confusion

We purchased a pool heater with our pool and our electrician made a comment about it lacking a bypass. Is this something we need, and if so why? I will be shocked if the pool store could have sold us something and didn't!!:rolleyes: We have not yet used the heater as we are waiting on the city inspector to come out (hopefully tomorrow) and give the green light. Which leads me to my next question...will the heater have any effect on the chemicals in the pool?

The bypass we have plumbed in is a PVC pipe with a valve between the inlet and outlet of the heater. We use it to regulate the amount of water that runs through the heater verses the amount that bypasses it. We have a hot tub which is heated on demand and we found if the water goes 100% through the heater it doesn't heat as efficiently as when it is set at 50% bypass for some reason. My parents have a above ground pool with a smaller heater and it doesn't have one and everything is fine.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as chemicals make sure you keep your PH in check if you have a copper heat exchanger. If it gets really low below 7.2 you will get copper staining which I have seen on a friends pool a few years ago. I went with a cupro-nickel heat exchanger to avoid any problems incase I fall asleep at the wheel someday :rolleyes:

I dont have a bypass on my heater and everything has been fine. I really have no idea what I am talking about but I would venture to guess that a bypass would lead to possible the heating coils lasting longer due to the fact chlorinated water is not going through them at all times. Someone that actually knows what they are talking about care to chime in? lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.