Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plumes of dust coming through after cleaning

1. Back To Top    #1

Plumes of dust coming through after cleaning

After cleaning the pool I often get dust re-entering the pool via the inlets, any suggestions on what can be causing this please.
    80 ton overflow pool...and a big saltwater one called the Mediteranean

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plumes of dust coming through after cleaning

Assuming you either don't have a DE filter, or do have a DE filter and are remembering to use the rinse setting on the multi-port valve: That almost always means a problem with your filter, torn cartridge, torn grids, or channelized sand, depending on the kind of filter. This can also happen with a defective multi-port valve, though then the symptoms are usually a little different.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Maybe you neeed to stop half way through and back wash the filter ,it could be you are getting all the dirt coming back through and that is the cloudy water effect.
    try it once and see, after the first half of the pool ,stop,back wash the filter, then go back to vacuuming .
    I had to learn how long/much my sand filter could pick up before I started to back wash.
    When the water from the returns starts to get cloudy,STOP immediately and backwash!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

After cleaning the pool I often get dust re-entering the pool via the inlets, any suggestions on what can be causing this please.
    Are you backwashing and then get the dust? Do you rinse after backwashing?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes I rinse after backwashing and to be safe after cleaning. My neighbours pool which I clean for them is identical but has none of this problem
    80 ton overflow pool...and a big saltwater one called the Mediteranean

6. Back To Top    #6

if it's a sand filter could it possibly be you have a broken lateral ?